Cummins running ruff
03-28-2016, (Subject: Cummins running ruff ) 
RE: Cummins running ruff
(02-24-2016 )Isx Lover Wrote:  
(02-24-2016 )Fordmandan87 Wrote:  The crankshaft dampener hardens around 500k and you start feeling more engine vibration as a result. Not saying that's the cause but it could be making it more noticeable.

Here is a picture of my damper with 1020000 miles on it. I don't know what they are supposed to look like but here's mine. The black stuff has consistency of tar.

That is supposed to be a viscous material, as in liquid... Not tar. That one is bad.
replyreply
10-05-2019, (Subject: Cummins running ruff ) 
Just seen this black rubber looking material on my damper coming out from the seam. This damper only has 180,000 miles on it and about two years old. I used three coats of cummins paint on it ( don't remember about primer) and it seems like the paint is holding up. Is this a normal failure or a sign of other damage. Its a CM871 with 701,290 miles and 17245 hours.
I dont want to just replace the damper if there us something else that caused a problem like this. I.e. crankshaft

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
What the hell is up with Cummins and these parts? That damper is failing, I would get that off ASAP. If Cummins installed the damper, or the dealership, the part should have a 1 year labor and 2 year part warranty. This is one of those times I hope you had this replaced at a licensed Cummins shop.

Looks like a poor quality build, it should not separate like that. I can't see your crankshaft doing that. I can't see any damage on the damper, I am going with poor QC.
replyreply
I put it on myself 2 years ago. Nothing hard to do just follow the manual. I have no hesitation to do another one, just dissatisfy with a failure like this.
replyreply
(10-05-2019 )Bahdan Wrote:  I put it on myself 2 years ago. Nothing hard to do just follow the manual. I have no hesitation to do another one, just dissatisfy with a failure like this.

I know, just wondering about the warranty if they will honor it if you installed it, you know, the damn fine print.
replyreply
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=77
this link shows mine actually came apart at about 1.1 million miles and when it was pulled off the truck, engine sounded like it had a really bad knock beforehand.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.