2012 Peterbilt 386
10-14-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
2012 Peterbilt 386
I want to start a thread going for my newly acquired 386. Wanted to do it for my last truck but never got around to it.

I just got rid of my '11 volvo with a D13. The largest pile of green crap they call an engine I have ever encountered. But lets save that for another day.

Here are a couple pictures

First on the list is a castration, New drive tires, new air bags and shocks. Also the AC clutch is not kicking on, so going to look into that. Next is an oil pan gasket, and timing gear case needs to be resealed.

I will try to keep this updated with issues, fixes, goods and bads.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz , Nostalgic
10-15-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
RE: 2012 Peterbilt 386
Make sure you take the time to find specifically whats leaking on your timing gear case. Is it the seal inbetween or head gasket or rocker gasket leaking being blown down the gear case or is it a cracked back half. Its really costly and time consuming to fix 1 and only have to tear it back apart further to fix the actual leak. I know, cause I paid a shop that swore it was in between seal when I was pretty damn sure it was a cracked back half. Ya, I was right and I bought both tear downs....
replyreply
I am almost sure the whole gear housing. Sucks but look at the bright side.. The rear housing is dry
replyreply
(10-14-2018 )Aleeex Wrote:  ...

Next is an oil pan gasket, and timing gear case needs to be resealed.

Those are typical signs that the engine has a lot of blo-by and/or someone neglected replacing the crank case filter often enough. I would do a blo-by test on it of sorts and ensure that is not your problems before pouring money into fixing those leaks, as it will not do any good.

Also, one of the biggest causes of leaks behind the front gear cover, especially if it is on the drivers side, leaking down behind the air compressor, is almost always a sign of completely worn down injector cam bearings. - I.E.> it is a sign that the head is on its last bits of life and in need of replacing if the leak is where the gear cover meets the block. Usually it is not the gear cover itself, but rather the retaining plate for the injector (or valve if it is the other side) cam leaking instead.

Not saying that is your problems but what you described + pics of an old engine usually = what I just mentioned. Plan on a new head + an inframe if what I mentioned turns out to be the case is all I am saying. When buying used equipment, always plan for the worst. Leaks in those areas behind the gear cover could very well be the reason it was sold in the first place, someone knowing the engine was done for.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I will definitely check, but the leak is on the passenger side behind the water pump/ alternator.
replyreply
11-22-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
Y’all think any stealerahips have Black Friday specials ? Just limped the truck home. Spitting coolant like crazy. Pretty sure dropped a liner on my first trip ..
replyreply
11-22-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
(11-22-2018 )Aleeex Wrote:  Y’all think any stealerahips have Black Friday specials ? Just limped the truck home. Spitting coolant like crazy. Pretty sure dropped a liner on my first trip ..

Man. Good luck to ya. That's bull for someone to sell something right before it breaks on you.
replyreply
11-23-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
Ya, they have black Friday specials where they treat you special by ignoring you till next week because its the holiday season. Then they double your bill to cover their paid holiday shutdown. After that they have a special where when they finally get done screwing your truck up for far too long they'll blame you for breaking it and run you thru the ringer again to screw it up more without ever repairing the original problems. And this deal is exclusively happening 365 days a year so rush right in and be sure you get yours before they run out.....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
11-23-2018, (Subject: 2012 Peterbilt 386 ) 
No no, Im good off of that haha

I just need the parts
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.