IFSM Leaking
10-16-2018, (Subject: IFSM Leaking ) 
IFSM Leaking
07 Peterbilt cm870 with 485k miles. Been running it for a little over a year, tuned by a member here and the truck has treated me very well. A couple months ago started to notice the pump and one actuator forming damp spots here and there, timing actuator to the left off the shut off solinoid was leaking out of the plug so I replaced it. Last week the truck started to run a little rough again, new fuel filters help a little at first when I service it which makes me assume it’s fuel related. The timing actuator I replaced is now leaking the same way the original one was.

485k miles on a 12yr old motor...time to rebuild the guts to the ifsm?

Any advice would be appreciated! IFSM is all original besides the one replaced timing actuator

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
10-17-2018, (Subject: IFSM Leaking ) 
RE: IFSM Leaking
That leaking actuator looks like a gasket failure. Did you replace the gasket when it was replaced and did you torque the cap screws down properly? Cummin quickserve will have the proper installation and torque spec. I believe its only inch\lbs its gets torqued to. Also the wires going to the actuator look like they've been repaired or are swollen from fuel saturation. You may want to take a hard look at the whole harness and replace it if necessary. They are a common failure point the older they get.
The fuel pump looks to be factory and never replaced. It looks like its leaking so I would be looking to replace it. But you can clean it up and run it to see if the leak comes back. Also quickserve should have guidelines on when to replace that pump.
When was the last time you had the overhead ran on that truck?

What kind of operations has this truck been used for? 485,000 miles is really low for how old it is. I'd want to be sure its legit mileage reading. Just for fear of not knowing things are older and more worn.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: berrytrucking94
(10-17-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  That leaking actuator looks like a gasket failure. Did you replace the gasket when it was replaced and did you torque the cap screws down properly? Cummin quickserve will have the proper installation and torque spec. I believe its only inch\lbs its gets torqued to. Also the wires going to the actuator look like they've been repaired or are swollen from fuel saturation. You may want to take a hard look at the whole harness and replace it if necessary. They are a common failure point the older they get.
The fuel pump looks to be factory and never replaced. It looks like its leaking so I would be looking to replace it. But you can clean it up and run it to see if the leak comes back. Also quickserve should have guidelines on when to replace that pump.
When was the last time you had the overhead ran on that truck?

What kind of operations has this truck been used for? 485,000 miles is really low for how old it is. I'd want to be sure its legit mileage reading. Just for fear of not knowing things are older and more worn.

When I replaced the actuator i replaced the gasket as well, torqued to what quickserve said (forget exact specs atm)

It’s all original fuel pump, truck was used for local fuel hauling before I bought it. I bought it with 383k and overhead was done right around 100k ago soon after I brought it home. I now use it for local dump trailer work, hauling relatively heavy ~100k gross most of the day. It’s due for an overhead adjustment, that’s on the to-do list

Think I remember rawze saying somewhere the actuators tend to go around ~500k?
replyreply
(10-17-2018 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  ...

depends on how well they are cared for. mine have 1.2 million on them and worn but still ok.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(10-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

depends on how well they are cared for. mine have 1.2 million on them and worn but still ok.

So to trouble shoot what’s going on would you recommend I start with checking/replacing the gasket on the leaky actuator and then the plugs/harness to the actuators?

Also would it be smart to replace the gear pump since it’s damp around it?

Any tips on what to check for while tearing into this would be helpful!
replyreply
(10-17-2018 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  
(10-17-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

So to trouble shoot what’s going on would you recommend I start with checking/replacing the gasket on the leaky actuator and then the plugs/harness to the actuators?

Also would it be smart to replace the gear pump since it’s damp around it?

Any tips on what to check for while tearing into this would be helpful!

I would suggest starting by cleaning the thing first, determining what and where the leak(s) actually are, and their leak rate.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: berrytrucking94 , hhow55 , Nostalgic , Waterloo
10-21-2018, (Subject: IFSM Leaking ) 

cleaned everything up and ran it for a day. some fluid weeping from where the gear pump is mounted, but the timing actuator to the left of the shutoff solinoid is damp at the plug

tried ordering new plugs, is there a part# for these plugs? Tried looking on quickserve but couldn’t find a part#

Also, the actuator I replaced a few months ago has 2 pin holes in the front that weep fuel out of them??? The factory actuators don’t seem to have that. I’ve never seen it before, i swapped the metering/timing actuators from left to right tonight and that’s when I noticed the pin holes getting wet.

Attached are pics of the holes in the actuator..
replyreply
10-22-2018, (Subject: IFSM Leaking ) 
(10-21-2018 )berrytrucking94 Wrote:  cleaned everything up and ran it for a day. some fluid weeping from where the gear pump is mounted, but the timing actuator to the left of the shutoff solinoid is damp at the plug

tried ordering new plugs, is there a part# for these plugs? Tried looking on quickserve but couldn’t find a part#

Also, the actuator I replaced a few months ago has 2 pin holes in the front that weep fuel out of them??? The factory actuators don’t seem to have that. I’ve never seen it before, i swapped the metering/timing actuators from left to right tonight and that’s when I noticed the pin holes getting wet.

Attached are pics of the holes in the actuator..

The actuator is bad. Replace it!.

DO an injector leak tesrt while you at it. It might very well be that you have combustion gasses over-pressurizing the actuator and causing its demise!>

replyreply
11-05-2018, (Subject: IFSM Leaking ) 
Replaced leaking actuator, made a small difference in the rough idle.

Did injector leak test exactly how it’s done on video, no bubbles at all. Checked and double checked

The truck still sputters mostly around 1400-1600rpm unless it’s fully up to temp. Colder the truck the worse it is. I always let it idle at least 20mins before pulling it on the road now, +/-150° oil and coolant temps and it will still sputter until around 220-230 oil temps.

I want to change the actuator plugs that tie into the wiring harness but can’t find the right part numbers on quickserve. Asked a local parts shop and they said I’d have to buy the whole damn wiring harness which is not cheap. Anybody know where I can look for these actuator plugs??

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.