Clutch pedal down at traffic lights ?
10-27-2018, (Subject: Clutch pedal down at traffic lights ? ) 
Clutch pedal down at traffic lights ?
When you are stopping at traffic lights, do you keep the clutch pedal down to the floor ALL THE TIME you’re waiting for the green light ? Why or why not ?

I have heard conflicting arguments about this, and have never figure out the correct answer.

I have a book that says “Once engaged, a properly functioning clutch transmits engine torque to the transmission without slippage.”. The way I understand that is, if the clutch pedal is completely downed to the floor, then there would be no friction disk wear. But there could be other components receiving unnecessary stress. Are there ? . Or my logic could be completely wrong. Anyway what are your thoughts.

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
RE: Clutch pedal down at traffic lights ?
Well i usually have mine out of gear way before i get to the light.:) and don't put it in gear till i got to move, as some lights are really long or you got a lot of them in a row and i don't want to wear my leg out holding in the clutch in.. think of it this way it's out as you go down the road so why hold it in when you don't need to.. :)

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
Throwout bearing wear to an extent, and the sealed pilot bearing will be spinning away. Unless I see the yellow on the other side, I'm in neutral.

I have a feeling that whoever drove my truck before liked to hold the clutch in...

replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , snailexpress
(10-27-2018 )rrod Wrote:  When you are stopping at traffic lights, do you keep the clutch pedal down to the floor ALL THE TIME you’re waiting for the green light ? Why or why not ?

I have heard conflicting arguments about this, and have never figure out the correct answer.

I have a book that says “Once engaged, a properly functioning clutch transmits engine torque to the transmission without slippage.”. The way I understand that is, if the clutch pedal is completely downed to the floor, then there would be no friction disk wear. But there could be other components receiving unnecessary stress. Are there ? . Or my logic could be completely wrong. Anyway what are your thoughts.

here is what happens in the engine when you hold your clutch in. I talk about it at 8:56 in this video...

And like Nostalgic pointed out,... wear/use and all the spring tension on the release bearing.

People can argue it all day long, but less wear = less holding the clutch in against all the spring-forces unnecessarily. Simple as that. For someone to disagree is someone trolling you, or is simply an idiot. The latter is usually the case since ignorance is bliss for most people. Maybe you can sell em one of those flat-earth maps while your at it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Chamberpains , Rounded_nut , Hammerhead
(10-27-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  Throwout bearing wear to an extent, and the sealed pilot bearing will be spinning away. Unless I see the yellow on the other side, I'm in neutral.

I have a feeling that whoever drove my truck before liked to hold the clutch in...

that has nota to do with the clutch beenin or out

User's Signature: Just my 2 cents + -
replyreply
(10-27-2018 )rrod Wrote:  When you are stopping at traffic lights, do you keep the clutch pedal down to the floor ALL THE TIME you’re waiting for the green light ? Why or why not ?

some in some out the worst is if your all the way on floor ,put excesive use on clutch brake. the input seal will not be afected either way my opinion

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rounded_nut
(10-27-2018 )shoe128 Wrote:  that has nota to do with the clutch beenin or out

Sure it does. The only time the pilot bearing spins is when the clutch is pressed and the input shaft isn't spinning the same as the flywheel. Spin it long enough, and it's going to boil out the grease.
replyreply
(10-27-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(10-27-2018 )shoe128 Wrote:  that has nota to do with the clutch beenin or out

Sure it does. The only time the pilot bearing spins is when the clutch is pressed and the input shaft isn't spinning the same as the flywheel. Spin it long enough, and it's going to boil out the grease.

im not saying any more
-but rethink this

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.