Engine burning oil after rebuild
10-29-2018, (Subject: Engine burning oil after rebuild ) 
Engine burning oil after rebuild
Hi guys new guy here I recently bought 06 T600 isx cm870 the previous owner said it had a in frame done with papers to prove it also the truck had a turbo replaced when I was looking around the truck did not burn any oil recently it’s started burning oil not to bad but still does it only drip down the passenger side I’m guessing into exhaust manifold drips and burns only while idling once I take off I get a cloud of smoke and then it’s gone no more burned oil smell but once I stop let it idle and take off again same thing happening checked the turbo and everything is clean no oil anyone else have this problem please help or did MHC did a shitty rebuild thanks
replyreply
10-29-2018, (Subject: Engine burning oil after rebuild ) 
RE: Engine burning oil after rebuild
Turbine oil seal/Piston Rings/Valve Guides.....if they didn't put a new head on or atleast replace the seals on the valves the Guides could be the issue...otherwise turbine oil seal or piston rings.

I dont know how to check valve guides.

turbine oil seal could be checked by pulling exhaust off turbo and idling watching for oil behind the turbine wheel or hitting wheel throwing it in your face.

piston rings causing it would most likely create a fair amount of blowby

thats my thoughts
replyreply
 Thanks given by: cantrucker
10-30-2018, (Subject: Engine burning oil after rebuild ) 
can you see the oil leak? or is it only the smoke you see?

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
How much oil loss and how quickly? How many miles on the overhaul and how long are you idling before you get the smoke and oil smell? If its an over night 8-10hr idle, your gonna get a little oil build up passed the piston because its 1, a fresh overhaul and its not fully seated and settled in or 2, a polished cylinder(s) from idling it too much after a fresh overhaul or 3, its a big ol' (slightly worn) engine and the piston rings can't keep 100% of the oil film out of the combustion chamber especially during long idle times. So you get a little oil residue built up and burnt off inside the manifold and turbo after idling extensively.
replyreply
(10-29-2018 )CM870 Wrote:  ...
previous owner said it had a in frame done with papers to prove it ...

What shop did it?
Was all the parts OEM?
What is the date stamped onto the side of the head on the rear drivers side? and does it have an RX in the part number?

Do you even have a copy of the paperwork?

- i would have found out such things long before I even purchased it.

(just a what-if scenario here): What good is a fresh inframe if an idiot shop did the work, they sent the old head off to have it re-manned (head won't last for sh%it like that), and they used some crap after-market steel pistons and crappy reman rod/main bearings? - I have seen plenty of engines built like absolute crap and ready for a junk heap after a year or 2. Sad part is that many of them are from OEM shops doing this garbage type of work too.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Over haul was done by MHC kenworth in Kansas City from what the papers say everything was put OEM in frame kit total came out to 25k the head however was brought in by the owner so it’s probably not a new head also it has about 45k miles on the over haul no blow by it drips about a cup of oil over night if truck is idling I try not to idle it much but winter is almost here so that is gonna change but it take about 10-15 of idle time before the cloud of smoke appears when I take off as soon as I start it’s gone truck drives normal no coolant loss at all just oil
replyreply
Any time mine blows smoke after idling its because the intake filter is too dirty and creating a vacuum on the intake side of the turbo. It seems to pull oil from the air compressor rather than the turbo.
replyreply
A measuring cup of oil on the ground in an overnight idle is a lot. I would say something is definitely wrong. It would look something like an oil spot the size of your abdomin on the ground come morning.

That also equates to a gallon of oil every 16 days or so if you idle every night. Which is not horrible if you had a very high mileage engine. But you don't. You said the fool that paid to halfass an overhaul brought in his own head. Which is probably some aftermarket crap or machine shops shitte attempt at being better at designing and machining a head better than a long running multi million $$ ENGINE MANUFACTURER. Well, I'd guess you may have a problem somewhere in there. If MHC did the overhaul, is there any kind of warranty they'll stand behind?

A trip to Mr. Hagg in Griffin, Ga will set you on the right path.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
10-31-2018, (Subject: Engine burning oil after rebuild ) 
Well as soon as I come back from this trip I’ll start by looking into the turbo and take it from there thanks for the input guys I’ll let you know if I find the problem
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.