Reusable placards
11-03-2018, (Subject: Reusable placards ) 
Reusable placards
I tend to pull around alot of 20' ISO tanks locally that sit in our Depot yard for awhile...as a result, the placards tend to get really shitty and need to be replaced as they are no longer DOT legal.
Problem is, my terminal can't keep vinyl adhesive placards on the shelf it seems. Driver's seem to hog them when they put them out.
I certainly can't be driving around with tanks that have messed up placards. Half of the tanks are so dirty on the outside I need to clean off a spot with brake cleaner just to make vinyl placards stick.
Since I usually pull around tanks that are placarded the same, I'm wondering if anyone has used flip placards and mounted them to a magnetic base to make a reusable metal placard. I get paid $90 to replacard a tank, but it seems the only surefire solution is to buy my own placards...takes time and isn't cheap. Normally I'd ask the shipper since it's their responsibility...but they are in China and by the time the tanks get here, the placards are all tattered.

If I put magnetic placards on the frame of the ISO tank, do I still have to remove the tattered ones from the tank to remain DOT legal?

Just looking to run more efficiently. I have a high turnover with these, and time is money. If I can snap placards on the frame all around, collect $90, remain legal for 40 miles in transit, return the tank and remove my placards without having to mess with the ones on the tank, that's a win.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: Reusable placards
I hauled a few hazmat loads before on flatbed. We had wooden 2×4 that fit into the state pocket and taped and glued the sticky placards to wood. It sucked because they would end up peeling off. DOT can ticket you for having imperfections in your placards. Safety guy told me to replace them everytime. A driver I knew got magnetic ones. He had one on the front of his truck he got from Iowa 80 I think.
replyreply
Get a piece of sheet metal , cut into the size/shape that is needed,stick on the place card, then get some of them big round magnets(75 lbs pull they never move) and attach to the sign. most come with a bolt with a wingnut on them. and if it was me i'd try to make it so the magnet could wobble just a bit so if you had a rounded surface they would hold on better..then you would just have to slap them over the crappy placards. just don't forget to take them with you.
Might cost you less than 30 bucks to make. but save you loads of time :) and spray paint is your friend for the old placard, if you cant cover it with yours

User's Signature: hard to go 60 mph when the winds blowing 65+ in WY
replyreply
(11-03-2018 )dhirocz Wrote:  I tend to pull around alot of 20' ISO tanks locally that sit in our Depot yard for awhile...as a result, the placards tend to get really shitty and need to be replaced as they are no longer DOT legal.
Problem is, my terminal can't keep vinyl adhesive placards on the shelf it seems. Driver's seem to hog them when they put them out.
I certainly can't be driving around with tanks that have messed up placards. Half of the tanks are so dirty on the outside I need to clean off a spot with brake cleaner just to make vinyl placards stick.
Since I usually pull around tanks that are placarded the same, I'm wondering if anyone has used flip placards and mounted them to a magnetic base to make a reusable metal placard. I get paid $90 to replacard a tank, but it seems the only surefire solution is to buy my own placards...takes time and isn't cheap. Normally I'd ask the shipper since it's their responsibility...but they are in China and by the time the tanks get here, the placards are all tattered.

If I put magnetic placards on the frame of the ISO tank, do I still have to remove the tattered ones from the tank to remain DOT legal?

Just looking to run more efficiently. I have a high turnover with these, and time is money. If I can snap placards on the frame all around, collect $90, remain legal for 40 miles in transit, return the tank and remove my placards without having to mess with the ones on the tank, that's a win.

We use placards that don't stick quite often. Clear Contact paper at wal-mart is your friend.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-18-X2.../161863478

just slap some over it with about 2" of border and your good to go.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.