So who here does all of their own tire work?
11-06-2018, (Subject: So who here does all of their own tire work? ) 
So who here does all of their own tire work?
I've been doing it as much as possible since buying the truck. As a matter of fact, I carry a rack on the back of my cab to carry a spare steer tire as an all position spare and it's saves my ass about once a year.

So now I'm well on my way to my proposed 50k budget on overhauling my truck. Yes, I'm going to be doing alot of work on it this coming year, and part of that is wheels and tires. My wheels were curbed at some point in time and my inner drives a very rusty steel wheels so I figured this would be a great time to make some changes.

I'll be rotating my alcoas inboard and buying a new outer set, and replacing the steers, as well as a new set of 710's. What I wonder is if there is anywhere you guys have found that I can go to purchase these tires outright wholesale...so I can mount them myself, kind of like tire rack.

I do have everything I need to break them down and reinstall including a bead cheetah. I have NEVER paid anyone for new tires (I always mount and balance my own) and I'm kind of reluctant to start now.

I'm in Savannah, and haven't found anyone here who wants to sell them out the door without installing them. Most try to make it not worth it so I pay them to do it. Maybe I can order them online and not end up upside down with shipping?

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
RE: So who here does all of their own tire work?
I do my own tires as well but have only bought used. My truck doesn't see a lot of miles since it has a crane on the back.

Last time I went looking for new tires all the stores would sell them to me without mounting.

I'm no expert but if you change from steel/AL rims to AL/AL I think you will need longer studs to accommodate the thicker rims. My truck came with one steel outer. I had to get longer inner lug nuts when I replaced it with an AL rim to match the others.
replyreply
https://simpletire.com/

Pretty much the only thing I found like Tire Rack. My supplier always beats their prices, but that doesn't help you any down there lol. Check around smaller shops, even automotive - if you don't need them mounted and are willing to prepay, they should be able to get some in for you at a decent price.
replyreply
^^^^^^ I buy all my tires from there and never had a issue.

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
11-07-2018, (Subject: So who here does all of their own tire work? ) 
I've purchased more than a few 11R22.5's for my Freightliner straight truck many years ago.
I use it mostly for storage now. That hydraulic lift is dandy for getting tires up in there.

I once purchased All position Michelins for $200 each (new) and grabbed both pickup and trailer full, on fleabay. From a dealer in Clinton, OK.

Chicago Tire (fleabay name) has great prices and include shipping. They sell their own re-tread and new Made in USA brands.

My local guys refused to mount my tires. Some work is better than none, right???.
They told me to scoot and I did.
Right to Youtube where a young girl was mounting and dismounting a large tire, as heavy as she was.
I watched many videos for several hours...did some research and bought a Ken-Tool
"Serpent tool" on Amazon.com. and goodies (valves and lubricant) from Meyer Tire supply (online).

I made my own Cheetah beading tool from a Red colored 10-15 gallon Walmart tire inflator, a large butterfly valve and factory replacement nozzle from Cheetah tools.
A $400 tool cost me about $100 and an afternoon to make.

On a saturday evening I mounted ten 11R22.5 tires. the first took about an hour with much swearing.
The neighbors came out when first using the Cheetah tool. Its loud to say the least.....! ! !

The last tire was done almost as fast as the young girl in the video.
I swear her tire had been boiled in grease.

The KenTool "serpent" ( two tools, mount and dismount) was the least expensive tool ( $100) that actually works.
Some "used" mounting "spoons" on fleabay for essentially nothing are great once you have the
some practice. I now have both ( Meyer tire supply) and mount tires, from fleabay, on my Nissan pickup.
The TNT "Golden" Tool is the most expensive, a set was $600.00 and great if one does this stuff daily.

An OTC torque multiplier (hand crank Knock-off) loosens the most stubborn lug nuts.
I've saved THOUSANDS. Next to fuel...doing your own (formerly expensive) tires is most satisfying, and cost effective.
replyreply
Chicago tire on fleabay.
They do their own brand of retreads ( Bandag) and sell domestic truck tires.
Cost is very reasonable and includes shipping.
replyreply
(11-07-2018 )Diesel_Pusher Wrote:  Chicago tire on fleabay.
They do their own brand of retreads ( Bandag) and sell domestic truck tires.
Cost is very reasonable and includes shipping.

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...4#pid19844

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I run Super Singles on Drives and Trailers,best deal I've found is Used truck Dealers.
They Purchased used fleet trucks and sell to Owners Operators,who want nothing to do with super singles.
Sometimes there's just happy to get something for them and I get a Deal.
replyreply
11-08-2018, (Subject: So who here does all of their own tire work? ) 
I ran across, but havent tried....yet, the new Marangoni "Ring Tread" system which does away with the traditional wrap-around retreading.

The Ring-Tread is made / vulcanized in a one piece RING and is slid on from the side instead of wrapping around the carcass like traditional retreading.

No sensible person would argue that improper air pressure on a hot day is anything but sure death for a retread or even a virgin tire for that matter. The lazy O/O or company driver is always going to pay a price for neglecting their tires.

Ringtreads can fail but its very design eliminates the massive destruction of a 50+/- lb piece of reinforced rubber flapping at highway speeds.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.