Oil consumption
11-07-2018, (Subject: Oil consumption ) 
Oil consumption
I have a 2015 Cummins ISX engine. I've been having excessive regens which I'm fixing next Friday with the egr tuneup. I noticed everytime it starts having excessive regens it eats up my oil. I had the blowby checked by two dealerships which was 3 percent and took the head off three and half months ago it was fine. Now its eating up oil when the regens starts. What could this be?
replyreply
RE: Oil consumption
Do u have insite so u can check in see what ur number are when it regen, how miny miles do u have,have the filters ever been clean in baked
replyreply
(11-07-2018 )lonestar16 Wrote:  Do u have insite so u can check in see what ur number are when it regen, how miny miles do u have,have the filters ever been clean in baked
Yes it was baked at a Ta 3 months ago. I've been trying how to figure out how to access insite. I hope I dont have an internal leak so fast after having the engine taken apart three months ago for wear and blowby and good results. The oil comsuption isnt making since to me but everytime its does excessive regens. I lose gallons of oil.
replyreply
11-08-2018, (Subject: Oil consumption ) 
Many people I know who own ISX's will say they will use no oil for about the first 12-14k miles after an oil change, then loose a gallon as the oil starts needing replacing. It is quite common.

I know that mine is this way too and always has been. It was like this even when it was brand new, and the same way after it got its inframe. As the oil wears out, it starts consuming a bit of it.

It could be that yours is getting excess soot in it and wearing out the oil due to the same issues making the DPF problems. - DPF's don't clog up unless there is something in the engine causing excess soot to cause it.

For the life of me, I don't know why someone would pull the head of an engine without it needing a replacement or some other very serious problem. Some of what you say makes no sense.

Lastly, a Stealershit is the WORST place to take you truck to for those kinds of problems!. All you get is one of these...
./uploads/201811/post_2_1541651321_4d62b650b7d6580e080c07fb21c8e050.jpg

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
I had them look to make sure wasnt carbon buildup or oil on the top half of the engine before I purchased it. Idk what's going on with the oil comsuption. There is no visible oil leaks and blow by is still low right now. I'm having a lot of regen ash in dpf alarms going off when filters were cleaned at the end of July and a differential pressure sensor was changed along with other egr parts.
replyreply
(11-07-2018 )milekam Wrote:  I had the blowby checked by two dealerships which was 3 percent and took the head off three and half months ago it was fine. Now its eating up oil when the regens starts. What could this be?
Quote:had them look to make sure wasnt carbon buildup or oil on the top half of the engine before I purchased it.

Pulling a head to just "check" carbon packing or oil in the upper cylinder makes very little sense. Pulling the head is a very labor intensive job. So no one pulls one off to just look.
This statement is very odd. Are you sure they didn't just pull the valve cover and tell you everything is fine? They can check carbon packing by pulling the injectors and bore scoping the cylinder. But even then, without evidence of actual problems I don't see any salesman having this done just to "check" carbon packing for a potential buyer.
replyreply
I think that's what they did was check the valve cover, and they didnt take off the entire head(let me clear that ) I brought my truck from lone mountain and took it to two dealerships to be checked before signing papers. Excessive regens and oil consumption in the last three months.
replyreply
Is it a common rail ISX? These will often have carbon packed pistons and polished liners without any blowby. If you are really worried about it I would have the bores inspected with a camera. If it does a fair few miles before oil use starts then it might not even be an issue.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: milekam
02-03-2019, (Subject: Oil consumption ) 
Whats the best oil to but on the isx400 , should i put 1gal of lucas?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.