Fuel tank repair or replace
11-09-2018, (Subject: Fuel tank repair or replace ) 
Fuel tank repair or replace
I saw a fuel leak from my passenger side fuel tank. I took it off and saw a small crack under belt. Somehow belt and salt damaged the wall of aluminum fuel tank.
Long story short, Im thinking if welding will work or buying a new one?
Does anyone know a place to do the job in Ohio?
Any input will be appreciated .
replyreply
11-10-2018, (Subject: Fuel tank repair or replace ) 
RE: Fuel tank repair or replace
I've heard of people who have done welding to replace a fuel pickup tube and patch them behind the strap with no issues like you want to to. Personally for about $500 or so you can find a good used fuel tank from a salvage yard be done with it and not worry if my welds will hold up or not. I bought 2 150 gallon tanks for my truck from Vander Haags for like 950 plus shipping they might have a shop in Indiana to install it but I'm not too sure about that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: hhow55
Just though I would mention that welding on fuel tanks can be deadly. Take proper precautions -- then take more p[precautions,.. then have someone else who is familiar with welding fuel tanks do it for you -- lol.

just posting this as a caution.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
(11-09-2018 )alborz Wrote:  I saw a fuel leak from my passenger side fuel tank. I took it off and saw a small crack under belt. Somehow belt and salt damaged the wall of aluminum fuel tank.

If you're near SW Ohio "Cincinnati Radiator" does excellent work, they boil it out first to avoid any explosion. My own experience with them was 5+ years ago and I removed the tank my self so I have no idea as to current cost, but a quick phone call will tell the tale.
replyreply
I'm cheap and I'm a welder ...that being said I probably would replace the tank as if its cracked under the strap its a stress/weakened area. You can patch it, you can replace sections but you have another strap area that is probably nearing the same.
replyreply
If you are going to " patch " that tank . Have them do all 3 straps ( and them ,not you " by making strips that are a little wider then the straps and weld them to the tank. This is very common at home .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: fargonaz
I wonder if using epoxy is good for patching it?
replyreply
11-11-2018, (Subject: Fuel tank repair or replace ) 
Epoxy is a very short term fix. It'll crack and vibrate loose in no time on a truck tank of any size. Its just exposed to too much weight, vibration and temperature changes to be permanent.

The permanent fix is to pull the tanks and send them out to have the entire strap/mount contact area beefed up
with a second layer of aluminum welded on. I've sent clise to a hundred tanks out and had 3 of mine done this way. Also its a good time to have the end of the tank cut off and have any baffles and fuel pickup tubes welded in and sealed up.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-11-2018, (Subject: Fuel tank repair or replace ) 
(11-09-2018 )alborz Wrote:  I saw a fuel leak from my passenger side fuel tank. I took it off and saw a small crack under belt. Somehow belt and salt damaged the wall of aluminum fuel tank.

I have an 02 KW that has spent most of its life neglected in northern Colorado. You can patch weld your tanks up as a somewhat short term fix if you want and can find a good welder to do this. If this is the rout you take weather you think you need to or not cut and weld full length strips to match your straps and saddles and do this for each one weather you think it need it or not. Clean well and weld strips to tank.

Next time it leaks replace.

I have done this on my 02 KW. After you are done fixing both tanks start shopping or saving for replacement tanks.

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.