Repowering a Peterbuilt
11-12-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
RE: Repowering a Peterbuilt
a cat v8 is the only way to go. JK, id put a demandated and well tuned cm871 in there.
replyreply
11-13-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
I’m waiting to hear back as to the Oil journal is cracked or not and/or the results of plasti gauging the rods/mains is/are the culprit to the extreamly low oil pressure.

If it’s the block and a crack is found I guess I’ll be looking for another block.
If it’s the/a rod/main bear wrong size then I’ll be getting some rod and main bearings.

Thanks!

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply
11-13-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
(11-12-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  a cat v8 is the only way to go. JK, id put a demandated and well tuned cm871 in there.

Yeah it would if I had a 67 or 68 needlenose, a 3408 would be grand!!!!!
Cam it, turn the screws to the pump, twin turbo and supercharged!!!!!!

Wow that would really sound great and put some serious hammers on the ground wouldn’t it???

3-3.5 miles to the gallon though , I’d go broke....

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
11-18-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
If a person was to pay attention to detail and properly rebuild a CM 871 I think that's the best bet. An N14 is too old. Parts aren't readily available. If a person does a custom swap it's definitely cool but it can lead to problems finding parts and completing repairs. A 870 replacement with an 871 should pay with fuel efficiency and reliability. One should read extensively to educate themselves on the differences. Ask the right questions.

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
11-18-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
(11-11-2018 )Peashooter67 Wrote:  I will be the one driving the 06 Peterbuilt.
I bought it for me and I believe it’s the air actuated vgt.
So I guess that’s th 870 ?

I’m building this for me and like as stated I haven’t drove it yet so no clue about how it runs.
Please do not assume or read into or between the lines.
If this was for a random “I don’t know you and you don’t know me” he will be driving a freightliner with a series 60 12.7 and turned down to minimize what you just said.

I have the MBN cat 04, head gasket failure at 12,300 hours . They said it called for a rebuild by cat so that was 26 k . I also had a head gasket fail on the 870(06) with 18000 miles on it fairly new , cummins did the head,been fine ever since . I have had the Detroit, sold it . I have another with an 870 (07). I have a total of 5 trucks , 1 has the cat . I like the 870s ,others are cummins . They do run when they are set up to spec. The 870 loves the hi way. I took a chance , I bought another . Your gonna spend all that money to convert ? $ it adds up and lost time . If you got a bad block talk to these folks here , I am sure someone has got your needs put together with a warranty. Like I said when they are set up right , they run !. It sounds like you got a bad rebuild from somewhere . It also sounds like an expensive week.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.