Repowering a Peterbuilt
11-11-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
RE: Repowering a Peterbuilt
Not that it's expensive to get the parts. It's actually tracking them down. It is a truck specific thing and being that old, your gonna run in to salvage yard stuff or dealing with a dealership thats willing to put the time in to find actual part numbers.

My opinion on N14 swap is that they are old, worn out, prone to injector failure at a horrible 8 out of 10 bad remans., limited new parts, not as fuel efficient. Just officially in the obsolete bin unless you have one on an old truck and are used to the growing problems with a very old engine. The CM870's are quickly getting in to that area with Turbos and Injectors. Price of new is thru the roof because availability of them.
replyreply
I don’t know which “870/871” on my 02 KW has and I don’t know which one my 06 Peterbuilt has
What I can say is they are both isx and both 500hp series’s and both are twin cam motors.
I’m not sure beyond that how they really differ other than one has egr/vgt “06” and the other does not “02”.
6.5-7 mpg is 6.5-7 mpg. That’s what I get out of my 06 fld and 02 w900.
I’m sure I can get 6.5 mpg out of a redhead n14. I’m not expecting and better out of the 06 Pete either.
This is more about short/long term expense/cost then it is fuel mileage. I don’t own any trucks that are capable of 8 & 9 mpg. At least I have not ever seen a ifta report showing any w900 or 379’s getting over 7, I’m not saying it don’t happen but I just don’t expect it.

If I stick with the isx “06” what are the options? After I find and acquire a usable block, put my parts in it and get it on the road?

User's Signature: Have you checked your muffler bearings today?
replyreply
Bear with me I might forget a few things you asked ...
First thing that comes to mind is you said that the one has no egr or vgt , if that's factory that means it is a 570 . That's the first isx built . Then the 870 which has the egr and air vgt , then the 871 with the electronic vgt . As far as I know the block and head are all pretty much the the same . With the 871 you can really dail that turbo in to suit your needs and application.
With the rebuild you have only a very limited amonut of poeple who can actually build these things right. Lots of poeple can build them but not to the potential they actually have . With a little bit of knowledge and lots of love and care when you build them to amaze durability. That is why I will never spend x amount on a crate engine because I know the liners or not set right, ect . If I do spend the $ I won't it done right and to be able to get every last bit of power xx economy and life out of the Damm thing
As far as the tune goes ...
Again everybody does it but how many do it right . I will not let anybody play with a x amount dollar engine .
If you truly want to know more about the engine spec or tuning . Start reading this fourm

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
The first problem I see that you have is that you run driver's .
The problem is they have the gotta go attitude , like all of trucking 20 + years ago .
This is not 20 years ago .
This is why this is a problem .your losing alot of feul milage and life out of the motor , tires ect.
When I pulled trains up north ( 140.000 lbs ) , most of the time I was getting the same amount of feul milage as the 5-6 axel guys .yes it would take me longer but by very little .
The drivers are paid by mile . I am paid by the net and it's my truck . That's the difference .
If you get pissed off reading this , then your not ready to actually face your biggest problems .
In your case I would stongly recommend a 871 because you can tune it for a driver . This will give you a greater chance for less engine abuse and better feul mileage . Keep in mind in my books making them pull under 1500 at all is pure abuse .
To tell you the honest truth if I was a driver paid by the mile , I would run the shi#t out of the truck . That would make me the most and you the least. if I drove yours like mine you would make alot more cash and I would make alot less . There layes the problem .
I can be wrong about your situation or how your business runs but at first glance that is what's standing out to me .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
I will be the one driving the 06 Peterbuilt.
I bought it for me and I believe it’s the air actuated vgt.
So I guess that’s th 870 ?

I’m building this for me and like as stated I haven’t drove it yet so no clue about how it runs.
Please do not assume or read into or between the lines.
If this was for a random “I don’t know you and you don’t know me” he will be driving a freightliner with a series 60 12.7 and turned down to minimize what you just said.

replyreply
Almost all my trips are highway and 200-300 miles oneway and my other truck is running the travel lane doing the same thing. Because of tsa, ntsb, dot, csa and other rules and regulations I can’t openly say what I do or what highway/s I travel.

Let’s just say except during Presidential and midterm elections I do very well.

I wasn’t going to let my driver drive my new pickup because insurance won’t let me but he is on my trucking insurance. That’s why he drove the Peterbuilt home.

I think It was in my driveway that the oil pressure started acting up and the truck is in the shop and has been since I got it home.
The oil pressure is 8 at idle and 20-22 psi at 1400 rpm. We have “the mechanic and I “ believe we have narrowed down where the oil pressure loss is accruing. The fix is a new block. This is the reason for all the questions.

Back in the days of bigcam II’s , 3406 A’s and B’s doing a motor swap was supper simple.
The end result of what I end up with will be for me and me alone.

At this point as far as I’m concerned what I have now is a glider truck looking for a motor.

replyreply
i got nothing bad to say about a DDEC 5 s60 tuned properly and i have done quite a few swaps over the years with them into petes. It works out well and isnt very hard to do but you will need some parts.

The ddec 5 will never touch your 871 properly tuned and built though. Those upper tier hand built motors do 7.5mpg+ for a million miles easily - its just hard finding someone willing to take the time and is able to build you one.
replyreply
11-12-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
If the 06 is non dpf then should be an 870. 871s were 2008 onto 2011 with dpf/EGR I believe. The cm2250 2012ish. I have a 2010 with a 871 built in 2008.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Peashooter67
11-12-2018, (Subject: Repowering a Peterbuilt ) 
(11-11-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  i got nothing bad to say about a DDEC 5 s60 tuned properly and i have done quite a few swaps over the years with them into petes. It works out well and isnt very hard to do but you will need some parts.

The ddec 5 will never touch your 871 properly tuned and built though. Those upper tier hand built motors do 7.5mpg+ for a million miles easily - its just hard finding someone willing to take the time and is able to build you one.

mine is an 870 I believe............................................ I also pm'd you for some assist.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.