Which 2017 truck would you go with?
07-25-2016, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
RE: Which 2017 truck would you go with?
In the past 10 years I've owned an 07 379 with 625 Cat, 03 WS with 12.7L pre-EGR 500 detroit, rented a Pete 386 for a winter with Paccar 485, another 07 Pete w 625 Cat, a 14 Pete 579 w 500 Paccar, now an 05 W900 w 565 ISX, and have been renting a 6 567SFFA w 500 Paccar/Ultrashift.

The nicest, easiest trucks tondrive are the new 567/579's w the Paccar's. My favorite I think is this new W9. The 379's were nice but the interior design of the Kenworth is worlds better, and the whole truck is classier in my opinion.

If I were to order a new truck today it would be a W900L glider with 72" flat top, NXS Acert 625 and an 18spd stick. I'm 6'6 and I can stand up in a KW flat top. Peterbilt, yeah, no, only if you're about 4' tall. My second choice would be a nice o/o spec long nose 567 with big cummins power.

The new Ultrashift is nice but still rather clunky and annoying at times. That, and an associated electrical problem will leave you immobilized.

Out of your choices I'd pick the aero KW. It's basically the same as my 579 but with cab mounted mirrows, which I'd have preferred. Much nicer inside than the others, in my opinion.
replyreply
None.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
Reading this thread makes me just shake my head. Looks like something you would see over on TTR.

./uploads/201607/post_2_1469446258_599af00e4913ccf9a3c91617ab6a64c9.jpg

I suppose there are always those who prefer to ensure the oil companies stay rich so they can make more new islands over in Dubai.

I also do not see any actual "improvements" from the red maker ... It would be counterproductive to all their billions they are now making in the new style of "repeat buisness" engines that are designed to ensure you give them every last cent of your profits.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(07-25-2016 )Running rough Wrote:  
(04-29-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  Hey fellas,
Trying to decide on new truck, kw t680, pete 587,
Freightliner cascadia evolution or volvo 780
It has to be auto shift.
By the way will my inline 5 and insite still work with 2017 cumins?

For fuel economy, t700 kenworth or Ih prostar, that would be with the epa 2017 emissions cummins efficiency series x15 possibly with smart advantage powertrain, the efficiency series can be had with up to 1850 torque at 1000 rpm and 500 hp, and also has a new technology for big bore on highway engines called variable compression ratio, apparently making it very fuel efficient, if your a heavy hauler and fuel economy is not a primary concern, look no farther, x15 performance series, up to 605 hp and 2050 torque, truck to spec it in, 389 flat top Pete with low low air ride suspension and front air bags or w900L kenworth, just my opinion

There is no path to a reliable, variable compression ratio engine. All routes involve silly things like cylinder heads that rock from side to side on the block or doing crazy things to control the valves. Hopefully, this isn't a road Cummins will go down. I have read that the compression ratio has been "optimized for efficiency." Which I interpret as "high as f$%k!"

I like the one piece after treatment can, faster and fewer steps to hammer a pipe through.
They also claim to have focused on known durability issues involving camshaft lobes, pistons and fuel pumps. Better late than never I suppose.

Now the important question, if I get a 605hp 2050 torque performance model in the spring Or whenever they're out; how long until Rawze or Gearhead can fix it for me?
replyreply
08-13-2016, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
I would go with Volvo D13 2016 or 2017, before the expected common rail addition in 2017, which is supposed to be the switch year. They have fixed the timing gear issues, and the engines are solid. I-shift is a good transmission, a little bit pricey to maintain, but ok. These are likely to retain most value as well after 500k or 5yrs. if you have a reasonable maintenance schedule you are likely not going to have serious issues.Recently a friend of mine bought 5 of these and got a really good pricing 129k each, reasonably equipped.Btw trade-in values are relatively higher b/n 3-4 yrs, mileage doesn't matter that much. Depending on how you depreciate, maintain and use your equipment, in most cases, it is best to trade-in or sell after 2.5-3 yrs in pure financial terms, discounted cashflows.
replyreply
08-24-2016, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
(08-13-2016 )kmk Wrote:  I would go with Volvo D13 2016 or 2017, before the expected common rail addition in 2017, which is supposed to be the switch year. They have fixed the timing gear issues, and the engines are solid. I-shift is a good transmission, a little bit pricey to maintain, but ok. These are likely to retain most value as well after 500k or 5yrs. if you have a reasonable maintenance schedule you are likely not going to have serious issues.Recently a friend of mine bought 5 of these and got a really good pricing 129k each, reasonably equipped.Btw trade-in values are relatively higher b/n 3-4 yrs, mileage doesn't matter that much. Depending on how you depreciate, maintain and use your equipment, in most cases, it is best to trade-in or sell after 2.5-3 yrs in pure financial terms, discounted cashflows.

Which model did he get for $129k and where?
replyreply
09-04-2018, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
Any opinions on Mack? I know the drivetrain is the same as Volvo. I found one that is in my price range (albeit at the top) with just 200k miles on it. Everything else in my price range has been 350-400k miles and up.

It has the mDrive (auto) and 2.64 gear ratio.
replyreply
09-05-2018, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
(09-04-2018 )DDB Wrote:  Any opinions on Mack? I know the drivetrain is the same as Volvo. I found one that is in my price range (albeit at the top) with just 200k miles on it. Everything else in my price range has been 350-400k miles and up.

It has the mDrive (auto) and 2.64 gear ratio.

just the suto-shi*tter and those terrible rears should make you run like hell away form that thing, nonetheless anything else.

There is mostly only one reason trucks get sold,.. especially when they have low mileage on them -- The thing was not making a profit for the owner!>

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
09-05-2018, (Subject: Which 2017 truck would you go with? ) 
The new Mack and Volvo gearing always screw with people's heads. I know a bunch of oilfield guys who have a d16 with normal 390 gears and 550 to 600 horse and they all have major engine and transmission issues and hate Thier Volvo's.

I on the other hand bought a 2014 Volvo 730 XE16 140,000lbs spec. D16 with 500/2050 , ishift and 3:21 gears. I told Volvo I wanted a salesman that wasn't a rookie when he suggested that spec for hauling super b. That's been a savage truck, I sold it off to my old business partner when we split and he's still running it, that things got about a million km and a insane amount of running hours from idle and PTO time, all it's needed was injector cups once...... That's literally it! I've got nothing bad to say about the Volvo or Mack platforms although I know many who would argue with me.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DDB

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.