Injector Spill Valve
11-15-2018, (Subject: Injector Spill Valve ) 
Injector Spill Valve
ISX15 CM2350 550hp 250kmiles

I just got my first CEL on this truck. Got it used with 240k miles.

So I just got the CEL. On the dash it says "Injector Spill Valve"

Where do I start? What should I do?
replyreply
RE: Injector Spill Valve
the spill valve on a common rail injector is internal to it.. Hook up insite and see what number its throwing the code for and change that injector.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , indian_richard , DSTdriver
(11-15-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  the spill valve on a common rail injector is internal to it.. Hook up insite and see what number its throwing the code for and change that injector.

So, while I have insite hooked up, I should perform an injector leak down test while I'm at it, or no?
replyreply
(11-15-2018 )Unilevers Wrote:  the spill valve on a common rail injector is internal to it.. Hook up insite and see what number its throwing the code for and change that injector.

How urgent is it to change the injector? Can I work the rest of the day? Or could I possibly be mixing fuel in the oil?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DSTdriver
This ended up being an engine harness on my 2250. Probably not that common though. Shop said they looked at the count to determine the problem.

User's Signature: If it ain't broke, don't mean it won't be at some point.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard
11-24-2018, (Subject: Injector Spill Valve ) 
So, I put the new injector in and I ran the overhead while I was there. The motor still surges sometimes and it feels like it's running rough. So, I think I need to do other fuel system diagnostic tests.

Any help is appreciated. I have all three of the books from Cummins, but they're a little confusing.
replyreply
11-25-2018, (Subject: Injector Spill Valve ) 
(11-15-2018 )indian_richard Wrote:  ISX15 CM2350 550hp 250kmiles

You need to find someone who can pull fault codes from ECM to figurout what is going on. The dash can say anything it was programmed to say and lead you in wrong direction.
I had a truck which was not equipped with water/fuel separator and had a lot CEL "Water in fuel".
Came to be bad timing actuator.
"INJECTOR SPILL VALVE":huh: which one injector? Cylinder? Aftertreatment fuel? DEF injector?
When new injector was installed did you or someone change the injector code in ECM?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: indian_richard
(11-25-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  

You need to find someone who can pull fault codes from ECM to figurout what is going on. The dash can say anything it was programmed to say and lead you in wrong direction.
I had a truck which was not equipped with water/fuel separator and had a lot CEL "Water in fuel".
"INJECTOR SPILL VALVE":huh: which one injector? Cylinder? Aftertreatment fuel? DEF injector?
When new injector was installed did you or someone change the injector code in ECM?

I didn't plug in Insite, but I used a scan tool and it said cylinder 6 injector.
replyreply
(11-25-2018 )indian_richard Wrote:  
(11-25-2018 )snailexpress Wrote:  

I didn't plug in Insite, but I used a scan tool and it said cylinder 6 injector.

Did you change the injector code when new injector was installed? It is required as each injector has unique calibration code stamped on the side of injector and ECM need to know this code to manage proper fueling.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rgreen

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.