I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
04-30-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
The truck is finally finished with the in frame, I'll pick it up Monday. But, I had them put a new Turbo and actuator on her, as I knew nothing of its history or age and knew that it was not the factory original.

Well, it came off fine, except when they went to put the new one on, the plumbing from the old Turbo was to small going to the exhaust. This was the smaller Turbo according to the shop, and they could not identify it. There were no identifying marks on the old Turbo, other than the Holset stamping. Why would someone install a smaller VV Turbo on my 600hp motor? Is there any benefit to it? Or were they just lazy and or in a hurry and installed the smaller Turbo because the proper one was not available? Anyone ever see or do this? This truck, when I purchased it, had the mandate on it, no one had tampered with it.

Now my next question, I have the large Turbo 485hp milk money 2 on my motor, will this new and correct Turbo affect anything? I'm thinking it will not, as the truck is already programed for the large Turbo, but I still have to ask.

Or, were there two sizes of the large Turbo in regards to plumbing? And would this explain the smoke I was having between shifts with the truck prior to the in frame?
replyreply
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
(04-30-2016 )Waterloo Wrote:  The truck is finally finished with the in frame, I'll pick it up Monday. But, I had them put a new Turbo and actuator on her, as I knew nothing of its history or age and knew that it was not the factory original.

Well, it came off fine, except when they went to put the new one on, the plumbing from the old Turbo was to small going to the exhaust. This was the smaller Turbo according to the shop, and they could not identify it. There were no identifying marks on the old Turbo, other than the Holset stamping. Why would someone install a smaller VV Turbo on my 600hp motor? Is there any benefit to it? Or were they just lazy and or in a hurry and installed the smaller Turbo because the proper one was not available? Anyone ever see or do this? This truck, when I purchased it, had the mandate on it, no one had tampered with it.

Now my next question, I have the large Turbo 485hp milk money 2 on my motor, will this new and correct Turbo affect anything? I'm thinking it will not, as the truck is already programed for the large Turbo, but I still have to ask.

Or, were there two sizes of the large Turbo in regards to plumbing? And would this explain the smoke I was having between shifts with the truck prior to the in frame?

Smaller turbo = more fuel efficient.

Bigger turbo might have to be reprogrammed. Whatever you do,... Do NOT let that engine make more than 40 lbs of boost!. A 485 tune should optimally be about 36 - 38 lbs boost under full torque load max.

Keep that in mind when testing the truck, and if it is making too much boost under full torque,.. have it re-programmed. .. And oh,...

BTW: Hopefully you will never see black oil in that engine ever again. Run it about 30k miles on regular engine oil, then start putting half a gallon of gear lube in it at every oil change until you get it to 300k. After 300k, use one full gallon of 80/90 or 75/90 at every oil change interval and keep on truckin' towards that next million mile mark on it again.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
40 lbs, got it. Sta-Lube, for sure on that. I have yet to test drive the truck, the shop did last night and said it ran beautifully. Right now, it has the 485 large turbo mm on her, as I thought I had the large turbo when I did this. I think I will give Unilever a call and let him work some magic on this here motor. Thanks Rawze!
replyreply
Good to hear your up and running. :)...almost LOL.
replyreply
Congrats!
replyreply
OK, I just got back from the shop... Here is what I found, the Turbo that was taken off was not a smaller Turbo, but had LARGER plumbing requirements than the new Turbo. The first/top photo... The inlet pipe sitting on top of the Turbo intake tube from the CAC came off of my old Turbo. See the difference? The one on the new turbo is actually smaller, bottom photo, at the Turbo inlet side than the old one. What is going here? The old Turbo was already sent back to Cummins, I wish I could have seen it and at least gotten a photo of it. The old Turbo had no ID plate or tag on it, other than the Holset name cast into it. Any ideas what was going on here?

As far as the motor itself, we fired her up, and damn did she sound good! First time it had been started today, no compressor knock, and it took all of one second to smooth right out. Jaime turned it over and I got a 1000 one count off and she was just purring! The hood was open and there was barely any vibrations on my hand, nearly zero, being transmitted through the hood. Nothing was vibrating visually, NOTHING!

But, unfortunately there were two issues, the oil pan was weeping oil, so they are fixing that, and the heim joint for the clutch at the firewall is sticking, that has to be replaced. Other than that, man I am impressed! She looks good and sounds even better! They are going to take it out Monday and give it a 100 mile test drive and see how she does. Fingers are crossed and knocking on wood! ;-)

And leave my heater hose shut off valve alone, I wanted to leave something on the truck to remember all of the crap I have been through... About the only thing that has not been replaced! LOL!
replyreply
i believe what you are seeing is the 561 vs the 551 in the turbo sizing. there are actually 3 turbos for the 871 - the 541, 551, and 561. the 561 and 551 have different compressor housings and outlets.
replyreply
(04-30-2016 )Unilevers Wrote:  i believe what you are seeing is the 561 vs the 551 in the turbo sizing. there are actually 3 turbos for the 871 - the 541, 551, and 561. the 561 and 551 have different compressor housings and outlets.

Looks like I went from the 551 to the 561, what are the differences? Anyone know? I tried Google and wound up empty handed...
replyreply
561 is slightly smaller. Seen on nore mid level hp cpls. Usually the 551 is on 550-600 hp models. Every big hoid truck ive seen with a 550 and up has had the 551. Trucks with smalker charge air coolers i believe tend to use the 561 for same hp rating.
Just what ive seen. Dunno how much truth there is to it
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.