I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
05-03-2016, (Subject: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery ) 
RE: I had a new Turbo installed... And made a discovery
I don't think it would of mattered too much, especially with the "fix" and getting it dialed in to work good, on a stock motor I can see it making a difference cause the Cal's would be set differently. I understand the principle of having the right air flow an CAC requirments, but I've spent alot of time on truck paper recently looking at motors trying to identify some CAC piping for the monster turbo I had built and from what I seen the oem's use a one size fits all approach to that stuff the pipping layout and CAC sizes. Cause the 450's and 600's I was looking at all had the same layouts just bigger or smaller turbo. And the same can be said about CACs when you order one of those it's a one size fits all for that truck from my experience.

But I do agree with you on fighting to getting the right turbo put back on your playing big bucks to have it done right, so there's no need for them to be half assin an screwing around with ya this far into your rebuild.
replyreply
(05-03-2016 )ynot Wrote:  I don't think it would of mattered too much, especially with the "fix" and getting it dialed in to work good, on a stock motor I can see it making a difference cause the Cal's would be set differently. I understand the principle of having the right air flow an CAC requirments, but I've spent alot of time on truck paper recently looking at motors trying to identify some CAC piping for the monster turbo I had built and from what I seen the oem's use a one size fits all approach to that stuff the pipping layout and CAC sizes. Cause the 450's and 600's I was looking at all had the same layouts just bigger or smaller turbo. And the same can be said about CACs when you order one of those it's a one size fits all for that truck from my experience.

But I do agree with you on fighting to getting the right turbo put back on your playing big bucks to have it done right, so there's no need for them to be half assin an screwing around with ya this far into your rebuild.

I don't know if it would have been that easy a thing to deal with... I called Cummins and asked for their Turbo Guru Brian, who knows me... He compared both models, the 551 and the 561. He stated they were two different turbos, and that I would have issues with "clocking" it in and the programing. He also stated that it would not give me the efficiency of the 551 that the motor calls for. His recommendation, get it off the motor and install the correct one. My parts man knows Brian too, and a quick phone call settled the matter.

I really don't have the time to play with this stuff, I just need the truck back. Thank God the mechanic caught it as did the service writer. To bad I had to go to the length I did to get the parts man to see the light. It was an honest mistake on his part, but still very annoying as I should have the truck sitting in my driveway prepping it to go back to work.
replyreply
Well in the next month or so I'll have some answers too these would it be tunable and work fine questions. My hybrid 561/551(off a volvo) turbo build is done, it's actually been sitting in my basement for the last month waiting to be installed.

If ya get a chance can you get the casing numbers of the exhaust side and the compressor side of the 551 there installing for ya??

Cause I'm not sure if something got lost in translation on the one they built for me cause the way I understood it they were gonna machine the 561 housings to fit the bigger wheels but from the looks of it they slapped the compressor housing off the 551 on it, which is noticably bigger then my current 561 and only machined the exhaust side cause it's got the same casting number on it as my current 561.
replyreply
(05-03-2016 )ynot Wrote:  Well in the next month or so I'll have some answers too these would it be tunable and work fine questions. My hybrid 561/551(off a volvo) turbo build is done, it's actually been sitting in my basement for the last month waiting to be installed.

If ya get a chance can you get the casing numbers of the exhaust side and the compressor side of the 551 there installing for ya??

Cause I'm not sure if something got lost in translation on the one they built for me cause the way I understood it they were gonna machine the 561 housings to fit the bigger wheels but from the looks of it they slapped the compressor housing off the 551 on it, which is noticably bigger then my current 561 and only machined the exhaust side cause it's got the same casting number on it as my current 561.

Boy, I don't know, maybe you should give my guy a call, as he had both build sheets side by side, supposedly more detailed than what we can get on our version of Quickserve. And if I heard him correctly the casings were the same, internals were different, and my 600hp called for the 551...

But, the 561 would work, but would NOT be as efficient, even after remapping, as the called for 551. Give him a call, Brian in parts at Bridgeway Cummins in New Hudson MI, (248) 573-1900 Tell Brian you spoke to me, Mike from Waterloo about this.

And yes, I will get the casing number for you as I would be interested to hear what you find. ;-)
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.