Boost leak check
11-18-2018, (Subject: Boost leak check ) 
Boost leak check
I like to check for boost leaks on every Diesel engine I come across. I bring engine to high idle ~1200 rpm. I take an old spray bottle (windex works well) I fill it with water and some dish soap. I spray down all intercooler boots, connections, intercoolers, EGR piping, etc. I find leaks on 75% of the machines I see. On a lot of the machines you tighten the clamp and the bubbles go away. Bad hoses, improper clamps(ordinary hose clamps), missing springs on clamps, rusted clamps, cracked intercoolers, etc are also causes for leaks.

My biggest pet peeve are the IH steel clamps. They rust then they leak. You have to cut off then replace hose and buy a proper clamp.

This is a quick, easy check that can save a guy a lot of $. Everything may look good but it leaks. A few bubbles at 0 psi can you imagine what it looks like at 20-30 psi. This costs the trucking industry huge $. My $100/min charge for my squirt bottle is well worth it! LOL

User's Signature: The fastest way to learn is to make a mistake. If it costs me $ I learn pretty quickly. It's cheaper to learn from someone else's mistakes.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , LargeCar , flatbed94kid , rrod

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.