Yet another ISX oil pressure thread
11-19-2018, (Subject: Yet another ISX oil pressure thread ) 
Yet another ISX oil pressure thread
Thought I'd share this, i had this 2008 871 in my shop a couple weeks ago now that came in for fluctuating oil pressure while driving. 807000 kms and 23k hours. Had never been apart for anything. With engine cold oil pressure was def on the low side at about 25 psi. At full temp it would vary between 35 on the high end and below 10 on the low end. This was all while driving, running at idle it was a it more stable but also fluctuated a bit. So i believed it to be the oil pump and maybe bearings on the bottom end. I replaced the pump and the crank bearings. Bearings had wear but were not on brass. After test driving it nothing had changed so i pulled the valve cover and found the cams flaked and the detents very loose from the hole alongated. So i replaced the cams and everything on top with wear including cam bearings which were on brass. I also pulled the lower gear cover to inspect idler gear bushings which had very little wear. I then asked at kw if the shop forman could give me any other things to check and he thought oil cooler might be plugged. I pull it off and the cooler was clean. I took the thermostat out to look at the bore and the seat and found the insert thats pressfit into the oil cooler housing loose and floating around. What caused the oil pressure to fluctuate was that insert floating around and partially blocking the oil flow. Looking at the pic you can see its been running loose a long time judging by the wear on the inside wall of the insert as well as the rotational wear marks on the outside circumference. Ignore the pit marks you can see there, that was me with a screwdriver trying to figure out why that " thing " moved. For kicks and giggles i took both pieces to kw to ask if they had ever seen that insert breaking loose and they had never seen it or even heard of it happening. Maybe this will help someone in the future with symtoms like this.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress , Rawze , Roysbigtoys , hhow55
11-19-2018, (Subject: Yet another ISX oil pressure thread ) 
RE: Yet another ISX oil pressure thread
first one ive seen with the insert loose. Nice find
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Starlight

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.