871 ecm ?
11-20-2018, (Subject: 871 ecm ? ) 
871 ecm ?
Will a ecm off a 870 work on a 871 if you reprogramed it ?
I will post more detail in a bit .
Thank you

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
RE: 871 ecm ?
Should. My recon ECM is off an 870.
replyreply
no, different animals with major engine modifications each way.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rgreen
11-25-2018, (Subject: 871 ecm ? ) 
A big shout out to uni , rawze, and hammer for helping me out on my last adventure...
I will post in more detail when I get time . I am not home any near enough so it's the kids time , ect

replyreply
11-29-2018, (Subject: 871 ecm ? ) 
Well it could not have happen on a better spot . 30 miles from friends and family .( Not in Texas ) .

So I left Calgary and the truck just shuts down . I wait a few minutes it fires back up and Edmonton bound we go . I park for the night in Edmonton .

I fire up in the morning and go . I get about 3 miles and she shuts down . At this point I can't get it to run more then a few mins at a time . It's like you just shut the key off , about 30 secs later the lights all come on . The fuel pump wont kick in . I play with wires and breakers , I can't get it to do anything . Evan once it's running ,I can't get it to react the problem .

Brock was kind enough to tell me about his ecm problems he had . I am talking with rawze.everybody is saying the same thing , ecm or power to the ecm . So after testing what I could I go pay the 2700$ big ones for a new shiny ecm .

I get back to the truck and take my .... Out of the old ecm . I put the new one in ,go to connect and nothing . I can't get inside to hook up to it for the life of me .

So i get Cummins to load the new ecm , put it on the truck and nothing . It wouldn't connect to the truck or me . I put the old one on and everything works properly . Keep in mind I got real good at switching them out by this Time . I can't figure this out for the life of me . The old works but the new one does nothing , like it's not even there.

Then the trucking God's smiles on me and uni calls me . He says it's extremely rare but the new ecm could be a dud . Since I am a hr from him , he offers to have a little look at it .
Off to uni we go .

So we figure out that the new ecm is fine , he does a little magic and my computer hooks up . Sweet problem solved ,right?
Get back to the truck and put it in and nothing . So now I know it has to be wiring , ect .

After messing with this truck for a couple of days on a country road , at my breaking point , enough is enough . I call my buddy who has a wrecker to come and pick up donkey and bring it to hammers shop which is 30 mins away .

Being me I keep playing with things and start going though the wiring / fuses again . I reset all the breakers , then I start pulling them one by one . Pop , the one fuse trips .... Uhmmmm, I reset , switch it for a different one and poof the Damm ecm Powers up .
A crap load of swearing . The truck fires right up and purrs like a kitten alsmost like she's saying no Damm way I am going on a hook , never has been since I owned it , after all we been though.

So I really don't know if that was the problem all along or it was just conicidence . But 2700$ bucks if it needed it or not , donkey is running .

So that's my little adventure I could have lived without . The joys of owning a truck . Hopefully this can help someone eventually.
I did this on my little phone ,so I am sure there is lots of mistakes and it looks like a 2 year old wrote . Lol

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
11-29-2018, (Subject: 871 ecm ? ) 
What a mess.

Well, the good side is that your old ECM was beyond its expected lifespan of 8 years. Nothing lost by replacing as a preventative measure it under those suspicious conditions.

Remember what I say about internationals and fuse panels / fuses? -- Seems to be a trend with even the older ones.

maybe go through it and replace all the fuses / relays at some point, or at least clean all the contacts for them any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Kid Rock , the missing link , wellrun

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.