heater blower switch burns often
12-02-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
heater blower switch burns often
2010 Peterbilt 387
The heater blower switch which you change the speed of blower by turning it burns very often and the wire harness that plug into it discolored .
The blower resistor was replaced about two years ago.
Anyone has any idea or similar experience to share will be appreciated.
replyreply
12-03-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
RE: heater blower switch burns often
(12-02-2018 )alborz Wrote:  2010 Peterbilt 387
The heater blower switch which you change the speed of blower by turning it burns very often and the wire harness that plug into it discolored .
The blower resistor was replaced about two years ago.
Anyone has any idea or similar experience to share will be appreciated.

Possible causes...

* The blower motor draweing too much current.

* The blower is not moving enough air, then overheating, then pulling too much current due to clogging of the core(s), filter clogged, or blower turbine slipping, etc.

* The fuses for the circuit have poor contact, allowing the voltage through to the circuit to drop, and the controller is trying to make it draw more current to speed it back up.

* The blower has been replaced with a higher current model.

Just some thoughts on it any ways.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys , JMBT
12-03-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
I had the same problem a couple of months ago, it was a pinched wire under the dash... I fixed that section of wire and no more issues.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-04-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
Mine was a crappy physical connection at the resistor. Cut the ends off, crimped, soldered and heat shrinked on new ends, and no more issue.

Also check the motor for excessive resistance in the motor as well as physical resistance. My motor was kind of hard to spin.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-05-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
Peterbilt control units are bad for going out and insanely expensive! I paid $1380 CAD for mine.

User's Signature: I'm no mechanic, I'm just a guy that breaks down enough to know a bit.
replyreply
12-05-2018, (Subject: heater blower switch burns often ) 
(12-05-2018 )Brock Wrote:  Peterbilt control units are bad for going out and insanely expensive! I paid $1380 CAD for mine.

for $1300 on a piece of electronics, I would be taking it apart and looking into replacing what was bad in it.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.