How much is to much oil?
12-02-2018, (Subject: How much is to much oil? ) 
How much is to much oil?
Just changed the oil in my 05 cm870.

After waiting a while for the oil to lvl out, I checked the dip stick and I might have added about 1gallon or 1.5gallons extra. I would have drained some out but it’s to dark out atm. So how much oil is to much? Will I drop a liner if I have to much?!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
RE: How much is to much oil?
I’ve had it well above the word full, and it didn’t bother anything. That was with 48 qts. at Speedco. But then I would use a small pump with a plastic line down the dipstick tube and draw out a gallon. And it would still be at the top of the word full, or a little less. (Not sure I trust their meters that much. Because when I do my own with bottles, it doesn’t take as much.)
replyreply
Alot of times they don't give the oil time to drop back down to the pan . Usually you overfill by 1/2 gallon or gallon I think .
I am sure someone will correct me on the amount .
The alsways give mine at least 10 mins or so . After I start it to fill the filter , ect .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
12-03-2018, (Subject: How much is to much oil? ) 
(12-02-2018 )the missing link Wrote:  Alot of times they don't give the oil time to drop back down to the pan . Usually you overfill by 1/2 gallon or gallon I think .
I am sure someone will correct me on the amount .
The alsways give mine at least 10 mins or so . After I start it to fill the filter , ect .

I waited like 30 minutes for the oil to come back down to the pan and then another 30 minutes for it to drain out. I 4got about the oil in the filter.... thats almost a gallon of oil that can fit in my filter lol. so that's where i might have went wrong, when i turned her back on. She was running just fine, if anything i think she sounded a little smoother.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Jimbo668
You need to keep the oil at the full line as much as possible. The ISX has oil control in the form of a windage tray in the bottom end of the engine, but understand that that oil can move...like walk up the front or back of the engine while you brake and accelerate...and can also be affected if that oil comes into continuous contact with rotating components. It would have to be pretty high to do that, but I have seen oil whipped by a spinning crankshaft to the point it got foamy...and oil full of air bubbles doesn't do a good job protecting bearings. I don't know how prone the ISX or any other heavy diesel engine is to this, the RPM does generally stay fairly low... I'm not willing to gamble with my equipment either.

Last time I changed my own, I ended up with a little over half a gallon too much in it. Forgot about the filter capacity. I carefully put it back into a jug and used it to top it off between oil changes, my oil stays pretty clean now so there was no need to waste it.

Will being a little over filled hurt it? IMO, not really. The crank sits pretty high in relation to the oil pan. But it's also too easy to pay attention to detail and drink an extra beer while the oil drains back to the pan and make sure it's right, too.

User's Signature: 2010 T2000, CM871, 13spd, 977k, tanker yanker
Overhauled @ 927k
replyreply
11 gallons. Dont forget that number. 11 gallons will fill the oil filter and put the correct amount in the pan if you priperly drained the oil on level ground.

I fill the oil filter with engine oil from the 1st 5 gallon bucket, dump 1 gallon of gear lube in the fill tube and then dump the remainder of the 1st 5 gallon bucket in then 1 whole other 5 gallon bucket. Fire the engine off for a min, then shutdown for a min or 2 and im right at the fill line.
replyreply
Just as a reference ...

I have filled mine since the truck was brand new to where the dipstick only has the "FU" of the FULL mark dry. That is Well above the hash-marks on the stick. - I have it there because that is where it almost meets the bottom of the stiffening plate, and still well below the crank. It would have to be almost another 2 gallons above this for it to be on the crank.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Zapah , Jimbo668
12-04-2018, (Subject: How much is to much oil? ) 
Up here in Canada (eh), I was told by the Stealership that Cummins recommends the oil capacity to be 43 Liters. So we put the correct amount in and recalibrated the dipstick. My 2 bits
replyreply
12-05-2018, (Subject: How much is to much oil? ) 
10.5 gallons puts my CM2250 right in the middle of the hash marks on the stick. I run it there because it doesn’t seem to use any oil at that level. If I put it on the full mark it tends to use a bit. I always try to change the oil myself but for the rare case when I have to use a Speedco, I added a Fumoto valve because they always overfill it and the valve makes it easier to get it right.

User's Signature: Anti-seize EVERYTHING, Except injectors...Use Petroleum Jelly!!!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.