O\O Code Scanner Options
12-04-2018, (Subject: O\O Code Scanner Options ) 
O\O Code Scanner Options
I just bought a 08 Pete 386, ISX15. I'm wondering if as an OO should I also own a scanner of some kind? I have been reading up on the forum and it seems to me that Cummins Insite is the way to go. Can anyone with experience tell me the differences in the versions; lite etc, I'm assuming one will just read codes one will allow me to clear them. I do a lot of work myself on the truck, I would like to stay out of the dealer as much as possible obviously, I've been driving my '85 359 for the last 30 years, finally had to give into and buy a new ('08) truck.

Is scanning \ clearing codes enough?
Is there a cheaper scanner option that will just read \ clear codes by it's self?

Thanks in advance.

Tom

User's Signature: Owner Operator
'08 Pete 386 ISX15 - Ravens 48' flatbed
'85 Pete 359 - Retired to save the planet
replyreply
RE: O\O Code Scanner Options
I'm going to keep tabs on this post. I really want to get Insight but it's crazy expensive.

User's Signature: Carhauling is a fickle mistress
replyreply
Cummins Insite version 7.6.2 with SP5 is what you want. There are many places to get it. Use the Google Search bar at the top of the Home page on this site and you will find more than enough info on places to get it and an Inline 5 or 6 adapter. The chinese knock off are just fine if you want to save money. And yes, you should have this program on a laptop and adapter riding with you at all times. Its what all stealership repair shops use so spend the $$ for your own version and don't donate any more to them. Don't buy anything newer (version 8 and newer) unless you really want to pay the subscription fee.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TBEV , Rounded_nut
This is one of the threads with good info.

Inline 5 or 6 adaptor kit

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
 Thanks given by: TBEV
(12-04-2018 )Chamberpains Wrote:  Cummins Insite version 7.6.2 with SP5 is what you want. There are many places to get it. Use the Google Search bar at the top of the Home page on this site and you will find more than enough info on places to get it and an Inline 5 or 6 adapter. The chinese knock off are just fine if you want to save money. And yes, you should have this program on a laptop and adapter riding with you at all times. Its what all stealership repair shops use so spend the $$ for your own version and don't donate any more to them. Don't buy anything newer (version 8 and newer) unless you really want to pay the subscription fee.

Thank you very much. I really appreciate it! I'm going to find out everything else I can on my own and I'll post it here in baby steps, that's what I'm going to require, and hopefully help out anyone else trying to figure out the same thing. Honestly I'm scared to death of this type of thing. Coming from an 85 Pete with NO electronics to this new to me 08, the thing has alarms going off all over, can't afford to be off the road.

thanks again!

User's Signature: Owner Operator
'08 Pete 386 ISX15 - Ravens 48' flatbed
'85 Pete 359 - Retired to save the planet
replyreply
Another good tool to use is Cummins free website Quickserve. Just register your Engine serial number (ESN) and you'll be able to access everything you need to know about your specific engine.

https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html

Between Insite and Quickserve and here, there shouldn't be to much you can't do yourself. Any questions feel free to ask.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Rounded_nut

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.