Asphaltene
12-05-2018, (Subject: Asphaltene ) 
Asphaltene
From another thread..

Chamberpains - RE: Algae in fuel
"Are you absolutely sure your dealing with an algae problem? Did you have the fuel tested to verify? This could be something as simple as asphaltene which there is no way around. Best way to deal with it is 10 micron filters and change them often."

Is there really no way to deal with asphaltene? Not all trucks have this problem AFAIK so some factor or combination of factors has to be causing it. What are they? I'm suspecting that's the problem I've been having on-and-off for about the last 30k miles, or since I got the truck. Who knows how long the previous owner had been dealing with it? How would you get your fuel tested for this?

I've fueled all over the Midwest and East Coast for the last 4 months so it's not like I've only had this problem for one tank of fuel or from one supplier of fuel. My 10 micron FWS filter turns black within 5000 miles. I have low power and bad mileage issues but not all the time, sometimes changing by the hour.

I realize those issues may be something other than asphaltene but I'd really like to solve the asphaltene issue as well. Part of me thinks it's Pete specific or at least specific to ISX equipped trucks that don't have a fuel cooler but I have nothing hard to base that on other than connecting the dots from various things I've read. 2017 587 with a 2350 and 330k on the clock.

Ideas? Comments?

Thanks in advance.
replyreply
RE: Asphaltene
from this post...

Quote:Asphaltene is a black, gritty substance that gets in your tanks, plugging up fuel filters and injectors. Fleetguard makes a product called 'Asphaltene Conditioner' that is pretty good at reversing asphaltene buildup problems if you get them. Many mechanics mistake this as 'soot', or oil intrusion, but it is actually a by-product of bio-diesel after it has started to separate under extreme pressures. This is actually a common problem with Cummins engines because the fuel compression is so high in the injectors, so it is a good idea to keep a close eye out for it if you own an ISX. Using an external filter/water seperator, such as a Davco, with a 10-micron or smaller filter in it will keep asphaltene at bay quite well on its own as well. Asphaltene can be treated by using 10 or smaller micron filters along with this product: Asphaltene Conditioner

It has to do with the amount of bio-diesel you are putting in your tanks. It is not specifically an "engine problem", but a supply problem that gets out of hand if you don't use good fuel filtration to keep it at bay.\

Like others have said. Just use 10-micron (or 7 micron if you are really paranoid about it) fuel filters in your fuel-water separator and it will keep it at bay.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RoadRacer
Well that explains why the Paccar and DD15 powered company trucks I drove never had this problem. And I'm always running a 10 micron in the FWS and the secondary is a 5 micron FF5776.

The asphaltene conditioner Cummins used to sell under Fleetguard isn't available anymore, its all Power Service now. At least that's what the guy at the stealership I'm sitting at told me. And I've tried Power Service, Howes, Hot Shot, Primrose, etc all to little effect. About to try FPPF next.

The conspiratorial side of me says it's no wonder that Cummins bought Power Service...

Still the fact that some Cummins powered trucks have this problem while others don't is odd to me.
replyreply
Isnt asphaltine caused by heat? Wouldnt a fuel cooler on the return help out?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: RoadRacer
(12-05-2018 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Isnt asphaltine caused by heat? Wouldnt a fuel cooler on the return help out?

Part of me says yes but the other part says the fuel might not be that much cooler once it reaches the injector. I'll probably try it though.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.