looks like blow by but tech says its steam
12-08-2018, (Subject: looks like blow by but tech says its steam ) 
looks like blow by but tech says its steam
so recently my truck went down i got it back to the dealership in nc after taking it to different shops along i 20 and i 95 for high crankcase pressure and blow by problems at the dealership they said that the egr cooler was bad and leaking coolant into the oil (i never saw any milky subtance on oil stick) any way they changed it out charged me 7k and gave me the truck back now im still getting white smoke coming from the oil fill cap when open and check engine/stop engine lights. took it back yesterday they told me it was steam that has to burn off from inside the head and to change the cc filter a couple times and it should clear up. has any one had this problem before if what did you do to fix it.... any info is greatly appreciated
sn: running out of money
replyreply
RE: looks like blow by but tech says its steam
LOL! Sorry for laughing, but they got you good with the EGR Cooler... They whacked me $2500 for mine, the real problem was a $10 hose clamp... And I have to ask, what did you get for $7,000? If just the cooler, that is beyond theft, that is into the two foot long double headed pink dildo territory. And trust me, that $2500 of mine was just the beginning of my pink dildo experiences...

I am assuming you have a Cummins, if so, which one? Year?

Did they check your air compressor? Did they pressure test the coolant system to actually find where it could be leaking? Did they do a combustion gas leak test with the dye as per the Cummins manual? And does it have a delete, if so, who did it?
replyreply
You need to stay out of the dealer. take it to someone who specializes in engines.

Look at it this way. You wouldn't go to your general doctor for heart surgery, you would go to a cardiologist. Dealers are like your general practitioner. They are good for simple things like parts but not specialty stuff like engines.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pingpong1984
(12-08-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  LOL! Sorry for laughing, but they got you good with the EGR Cooler... They whacked me $2500 for mine, the real problem was a $10 hose clamp... And I have to ask, what did you get for $7,000? If just the cooler, that is beyond theft, that is into the two foot long double headed pink dildo territory. And trust me, that $2500 of mine was just the beginning of my pink dildo experiences...

I am assuming you have a Cummins, if so, which one? Year?

Did they check your air compressor? Did they pressure test the coolant system to actually find where it could be leaking? Did they do a combustion gas leak test with the dye as per the Cummins manual? And does it have a delete, if so, who did it?
they did other stuff can't remember all of the top of my head but they checked air compressor, turbo the labor came to 3895.00 smh.. its 2011 cm 871 Cummins
replyreply
Are you getting excess pressure in the coolant? Is it pushing coolant past the radiator cap? If you have a NAPA near by, run up there and get an Engine Block Test Kit, runs around $50, most all NAPA stores stock them. Run the test, it may take a few minutes, make sure the engine is up to temp, get the temp up there before testing.
replyreply
(12-08-2018 )pingpong1984 Wrote:  so recently my truck went down i got it back to the dealership in nc after taking it to different shops along i 20 and i 95 for high crankcase pressure and blow by problems at the dealership they said that the egr cooler was bad and leaking coolant into the oil (i never saw any milky subtance on oil stick) any way they changed it out charged me 7k and gave me the truck back now im still getting white smoke coming from the oil fill cap when open and check engine/stop engine lights. took it back yesterday they told me it was steam that has to burn off from inside the head and to change the cc filter a couple times and it should clear up. has any one had this problem before if what did you do to fix it.... any info is greatly appreciated
sn: running out of money

If the EGR cooler is leaking, it will cause coolant to get into the intake. It then gets past the rings and into the oil if you have blo-by issues. -- It will also wash out liners, bearings, rings, and just about every other part of your engine if you have been driving at around like that for a while. It also messes up the DOC and DPF and after-treatment system too.

If the EGR cooler was leaking into the engine...

* oil has to be changed.
* DOC and DPF have to be removed and cleaned/baked/flow tested.

* All EGR piping removed and cleaned out.
* EGR valve removed and cleaned out.
* The EGR Delta-p replaced and corssover pipes cleaned.
* IMAP and exhaust bp sensors replaced + exhaust bp snesor circuit cleaned out.
* DPF Delta-P crossover tubes cleaned out + DPF Delta-P sensor replaced.

If it has caused excess wear to the engine, then the engine will need an inframe.

If you have excess blo-by you will also not be able to keep the DOC and DPF filters from constantly clogging up and having regen issues.

-- is this starting to paint a clear picture of WHY YOU SHOULD NOT GO AROUND DRIVING A TRUCK WITH A LEAKY EGR COOLER!!?!??

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: pingpong1984 , flatbed94kid
12-09-2018, (Subject: looks like blow by but tech says its steam ) 
(12-08-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  Are you getting excess pressure in the coolant? Is it pushing coolant past the radiator cap? If you have a NAPA near by, run up there and get an Engine Block Test Kit, runs around $50, most all NAPA stores stock them. Run the test, it may take a few minutes, make sure the engine is up to temp, get the temp up there before testing.
no excess pressure in the coolant. and no coolant pushing out of reservoir had it tested today everything seems to be normal except for the smoke/steam coming out of the oil fill cap. the tech at the international dealership said that it was moisture that got into the system from the egr cooler leaking told me to get a load on the truck and the smoke/steam will disipate. after reading different post and forms all weekend it just dose'nt make mush sense
replyreply
12-09-2018, (Subject: looks like blow by but tech says its steam ) 
Good Luck Pingpong! I'm following you on this. Maybe get insite then read the engine lights. In one of Rawze's videos he said that most of the time it isn't the EGR cooler, not saying it wasn't. But you have a maint free cc filter right? If not cummins has it.
Maybe an oil sample? In addition to pressure test. But I hope it is just some moisture.

If you don't have many tools, you can get a case or a set from Home depot or someplace for maybe 2 or 300 dollars. It's good for the simple things on the road.
replyreply
12-10-2018, (Subject: looks like blow by but tech says its steam ) 
(12-09-2018 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  Good Luck Pingpong! I'm following you on this. Maybe get insite then read the engine lights. In one of Rawze's videos he said that most of the time it isn't the EGR cooler, not saying it wasn't. But you have a maint free cc filter right? If not cummins has it.
Maybe an oil sample? In addition to pressure test. But I hope it is just some moisture.

If you don't have many tools, you can get a case or a set from Home depot or someplace for maybe 2 or 300 dollars. It's good for the simple things on the road.

flatbed94kid is right, first thing you should have done is change the oil + do an oil sample,.. send it to a lab to have it tested for coolant intrusion. -- Why people play guessing games all the time with a $36,000 engine is beyond me.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.