Inspecting kingpins
12-09-2018, (Subject: Inspecting kingpins ) 
Inspecting kingpins
What technique/method do you use to inspect the kingpins/bushings ? How do you know is time for replacement or how much they can wait ?

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
RE: Inspecting kingpins
1st you need to look up the specs for your axle.

2nd You will need a magnetic based dial indicator and a jack capable of 10 tons.

Once jacked up and blocked for safety you can see how much play you have side to side and once you set it down you can get the play up and down ny positioning the indicator on the top plate of the kingpin before lowering it to the ground. The weight of the truck will push the assembly up giving you the wear anount of the lower spacer/bearing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Andre_The_Giant
I was going to do an alignment but the mechanic said my kingpins bushings need to be replaced. He didn’t use a dial indicator.

First told me to look at this part when the truck was lifted. I could see a little bit of grease coming out of it.

Then with the truck lifted we moved the tire and it have a little bit of play, not to much. But now thinking, not sure if could rule out something else like the bearings, since no dial indicator was used, it was just moved by hands.

Is that enough to determine that they need replacement?

replyreply
How is the steering? Is it giving you issues is why you were going to get it alligned?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod
Is pulling to the right most of the time. It’s not crazy bad but it’s more than it should.
So would like to fix the problem before it gets worse.

replyreply
Maybe recheck it over. Find someone who has the indicator to show you how to test it and

find the actual specs
replyreply
My right pull was due to the crown and alignment shops pointing it dead straight...puuls right in the right lane and left in the left....until the tires start to wear funny...then it pulls right until i rotate them. Once rotated ot pulls left.
replyreply
You are right. I will rotate them first.
How do I find what kingpin I have ? Is the steering axel supposed to have a metal tag with brand and model? My truck is a 2015 Prostar. Was told it needs Hendrickson Kingpin service kit.

replyreply
12-10-2018, (Subject: Inspecting kingpins ) 
the spec is based of Kingpin size (diameter) and is far greater than most people think it is.. They have to be VERY worn to fail. i believe in the neighborhood of 0.125" on a standard diameter kingpin (i would have to go look up the exact spec)

Jack it up on the axle, mount a dial indicator on it, and use a bar to rock the kingpin IN AND OUT. the play is not vertical it is horizontal. Most seem massively worn out but are within spec, 1/8 inch play is alot.

Uni
replyreply
 Thanks given by: big_roy , rrod , flatbed94kid , PuroCumminsPower , ZeroNthedark

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.