Inspecting kingpins
12-10-2018, (Subject: Inspecting kingpins ) 
RE: Inspecting kingpins
(12-09-2018 )rrod Wrote:  I was going to do an alignment but the mechanic said my kingpins bushings need to be replaced. He didn’t use a dial indicator.

First told me to look at this part when the truck was lifted. I could see a little bit of grease coming out of it.

Then with the truck lifted we moved the tire and it have a little bit of play, not to much. But now thinking, not sure if could rule out something else like the bearings, since no dial indicator was used, it was just moved by hands.

Is that enough to determine that they need replacement?

YOUR MECHANIC IS A COMPLETE F%$4KING IDIOT!!!!

MAKE HIM USE A DIAL INDICATOR AND MAKE HIM LOOK UP THE DAMN SPECS AND FOLLOW THE AXLE-MAKERS PROCEDURES BEFORE MAKING SUCH BULLS#$IT CLAIMS!!!

THERE IS SUPPOSED TO BE UP/DOWN PLAY IN THE DAMN THING!!! -- IT IS ONLY A QUESTION OF HOW MUCH IS CORRECT! -- AND IT TAKES A DIAL INDICATOR TO FIND OUT!!!

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , flatbed94kid , PuroCumminsPower
12-11-2018, (Subject: Inspecting kingpins ) 
RE: Inspecting kingpins
Inspection of the upper and lower bushings and thrust bearing are all done with a dial indicator as previously stated. Generally, specs of .015 lateral movement or less are considered ok to run. If either of the bushings are over this, everything should be replaced as a set. Vertical movement should be no more than .040, if it's more than that, the lower thrust bearing is worn or there were not enough shims put in when it was originally done.
One thing many people overlook is excessive wear of or loose wheel bearings. When checking the kingpins, apply the brakes to remove the possibility of feeling the loose bearings. The movement that you are talking about could possibly be a loose bearing and not have anything to do with the kingpins.
If you do have to replace the kingpin and bushings, make sure that the axle eye is checked for wear before going back with the new set. If there is wear in the axle eye, someone with the right equipment can ream it and install a bushing there as well.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Rawze , Midland , ZeroNthedark

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.