N14 Celect stalled, won't start
12-09-2018, (Subject: N14 Celect stalled, won't start ) 
N14 Celect stalled, won't start
Hi,

I have a 1994 Kenworth with a N14 in a dump truck. we had the engine inframed a few years ago and its been pretty much trouble free since i've owned it. Just yesterday it was running fine, then without warning, it just stopped. It will crank but won't start. I check the wire to the fuel pump solenoid, and there is no power to it. We ran a jumper wire to the solenoid, and it started right up. There seems to be intermittant power to the solenoid wire. I changed the ignition switch cause it was cheap and was very loose, thought maybe it was failing, but it didn't seem to help. I'm thinking it might be the ECM? Would anyone have any ideas of what i should check or is there some way to test it?

Thanks
replyreply
12-10-2018, (Subject: N14 Celect stalled, won't start ) 
RE: N14 Celect stalled, won't start
(12-09-2018 )tsolson Wrote:  Hi,

I have a 1994 Kenworth with a N14 in a dump truck. we had the engine inframed a few years ago and its been pretty much trouble free since i've owned it. Just yesterday it was running fine, then without warning, it just stopped. It will crank but won't start. I check the wire to the fuel pump solenoid, and there is no power to it. We ran a jumper wire to the solenoid, and it started right up. There seems to be intermittant power to the solenoid wire. I changed the ignition switch cause it was cheap and was very loose, thought maybe it was failing, but it didn't seem to help. I'm thinking it might be the ECM? Would anyone have any ideas of what i should check or is there some way to test it?

Thanks

If you run power to the fuel shut-off solenoid while it is connected to the ECM, it can burn out the circuit in the ecm,.. just saying. Seen guys do this.

Always ensure the wire from the ECM is disconnected to it before trying such things.

If the ecm circuit for the fuel solenoid has gone bad,.. you can be rest assured the solenoid caused it. -- replace the solenoid when replacing the ecm as a safety measure.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
one other suggestion is a spare switch for the fuel shutoff power and run that way all depends on the cash you want to spend.
replyreply
Remove the gut's from the fuel solenoid, see if it run's.

User's Signature: It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
12-15-2018, (Subject: N14 Celect stalled, won't start ) 
I had same issue with my N14... Ended up being a battery cable the ties the batteries together.. they all looked fine they were clean. One of the ends was corroded inside and was not charging the battery the computer was connected to and once the battery was drained below the 5V it took to run the computer it would shut the motor off.. if things got wiggled around enough it would fire up again. it took some time to find that gremlin. You might be having same kind of stupid little short like that. Just a thought. good luck.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze
01-02-2019, (Subject: N14 Celect stalled, won't start ) 
Did you check all your ECM power fuses? Had an N-14 and every now and again she would blow a fuse.

User's Signature: 2008 KWT800 CM570 18spd 4.10’s
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.