Code 1981
12-15-2018, (Subject: Code 1981 ) 
Code 1981
Code 1981 popped up last night I stopped had it diagnosed they said it was a output temperature sensor on the DPF was reading wrong for new sensor on regen it took off in 150 miles later it through the same code again 1981
replyreply
12-16-2018, (Subject: Code 1981 ) 
RE: Code 1981
If memory serves the front and rear sensor on the cm871 uses the same plug and can be reversed accidentally...ie. it might be reading the front as the rear and rear as front....
replyreply
We checked that all ready
replyreply
(12-15-2018 )ETITRANSPORT Wrote:  Code 1981 popped up last night I stopped had it diagnosed they said it was a output temperature sensor on the DPF was reading wrong for new sensor on regen it took off in 150 miles later it through the same code again 1981

You need to get insite if you don't have it. In the mean time, here is the FIS (Fault Info system) help file for the CM2350...
https://insite.cummins.com/FIS/English/FIS4310637.chm

Code 1981 = It is complaining it is full of ash / there is a blockage in the exhaust flow.

Have the DPF and DOC both pulled. Take pictures of their faces and post them here. Have them baked and flow tested, then re-install them and do a maintenence reset in Insite.

Also post a screen shot of the regen hsitory here on the forum too. It should average 3.0 or less.

NEXT: Check the decomp tube for this kind of crap...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...07#pid1807

And also take picture of face of SCR, post here as well.

----

If it will not do a regen properly and it is complaining, there can be several reasons. Most of the time it is clogged up / poorly reading sensors, hence the EGR tune-up + cleaning out all the pipes, etc. + new Doser injector will typically fix this.

If the EGR valve is not closing properly, the EGR sensors giving bad feedback, etc. the exhaust post turbo will not get hot enough. - The exhaust HAS TO GET HOT (580-F or so pre-DPF) for it to do a regen, either going down the roads or parked. If the turbo exhaust impellers are washed out by carbon buildup, it will not get the exhaust hot enough either. - Hence, a lot of stealershit / OEM shops will throw an expensive turbo at the problem.

Lastly, if the EGR cooler is an after-market one, or if it is packed up with carbon, it very well can contribute to the problem too.

ALSO-- With 600k+ miles on the engine, I doubt you will be able to keep it happy any ways for very long at a time. As the engine gets old, it does not run as good, the blo-by is just enough to face plug the DPF every 50-80k miles at a time, + all the other things associated with an aging engine. - Hence,.. a lot fo people just go with the alternative, taking it to Mr. Hag down in atlanta and axing the headache permanently. - 60+% of all O/O trucks on the roads, those systems are axed, and I don;t blame anyone for doing so. - A truck owner can only tolerate so much down time and su much raping up the bumm by those systems before they reach a breaking point, just saying. Problem is that there is a shop around every corner willing to take your money to axe it for a price, but they are all 99.99% shi#t at it. - If you have it done, only take it to someone recommended on this forum (Mr. Hag, Unilevers, Mommaburt, Gearhead) or you will regret it later and wish you had taken it to one of those guys, happens every single time.

-- I.E.> STOP TAKING IT TO EXPENSIVE SHOPS WHO ARE CLUELESS!!!!! AND LEARN TO FIX ON IT YOURSELF!!!! -- Pull it apart, tear it down, HAVE THE FILTERS baked and flow tested, pull apart the entire system, replace sensors, clean out pipes, Pressurize the entire engine + exhaust system and fix any leaks, cac, flex pipes, or otherwise, and get it right,...-- or axe it and be done with it (assuming you live in a country that allows such things ehemm).

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
We did the tune up. Clean the pipes put new fuel injector clean dof injector put new imap, egr ,differential pressure sensor and new dpf outlet temp sensor
replyreply
(12-16-2018 )ETITRANSPORT Wrote:  We did the tune up. Clean the pipes put new fuel injector clean dof injector put new imap, egr ,differential pressure sensor and new dpf outlet temp sensor
Cummins has a free program its called DESA (diesel exhaust system analysis) you need the connector (Chinese works fine but says it doesn't when you connect) It runs engine for an hour or so doing different tests with a pass/fail at end and what to check, during test I could watch output of each sensor. Also check if your on the cummins voluntary recall list, I spent a month chasing a code and long story short took it to Peterbilt and they replaced the SCR and it cleared code and best part? it was free!!!
replyreply
12-17-2018, (Subject: Code 1981 ) 
https://www.cummins.com/parts-and-servic...vices/desa
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
12-18-2018, (Subject: Code 1981 ) 
I cant find contact info for mr hag or gearhead. Can you please provide
replyreply
12-19-2018, (Subject: Code 1981 ) 
(12-18-2018 )ETITRANSPORT Wrote:  I cant find contact info for mr hag or gearhead. Can you please provide

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...2#pid32332

and

http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...0#pid31130

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.