zero pressure cooling system
12-17-2018, (Subject: zero pressure cooling system ) 
zero pressure cooling system
I am pressure testing my EGR cooler tomorrow and was watching Rawze's video on YT. In the video he talks about a zero pressure system conversion. I searched for it here but cannot find anything. Can someone please link me to the place where I can learn more about the zero pressure cooling system idea?

EDIT: Also Rawze mentioned 20 psi. Is that the right pressure for all ISX engines regardless of truck type? I have a Volvo VNL if that matters . . .

Thanks
Jeff

User's Signature: 2003 CM870 ISX500/1650 in a 2004 Volvo VNL630. ~705k miles on engine
RV toter, non-commercial. 37k-40k lbs total truck & trailer. ~40k miles per year
replyreply
RE: zero pressure cooling system
The cooling system under normal conditions should less than 16 psi. When you're testing the system for leaks you want to pressurize it to 20 psi and leave it overnight because you can easily find leaks that otherwise wouldn't show up below 16 psi.
replyreply
Check this thread

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply
You don't want to do this. It was an experiment that Rawze found didn't work. Can't remember the reasons why. Maybe he'll chime in.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
Its the evans coolant that failed. He still runs 0 pressure system.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: rrod , Rawze
12-18-2018, (Subject: zero pressure cooling system ) 
(12-17-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  You don't want to do this. It was an experiment that Rawze found didn't work. Can't remember the reasons why. Maybe he'll chime in.
(12-17-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  Its the evans coolant that failed. He still runs 0 pressure system.

yeah, it was that garbage evans coolant crap -- horrible stuff!.

I still run a zero pressure system. 260k miles on the inframe and seems to work well, no issues so far.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
12-20-2018, (Subject: zero pressure cooling system ) 
I have always (13 years) ran a "faulty" coolant reservoir pressure cap to vent the pressure build up for zero pressure system. I usually cut the rubber gasket in the cap to vent the pressure but keep the coolant from splashing out. I've never had a boiling problem. I've done this with a couple Detroit 60's, Cummins n14 and now ISX cm870. I also dont hammer up hills and use the fan to cool down before shutdown. Other than that your normal fan on setting will keep your temps in a safe zone. If not you have other problems.

I don't get hot coolant leaks, minimal cold leaks but you have to watch dry rot sets in slow so you should replace all hoses and clamps when you see signs of it happening.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.