Hauling heavy loads wear and tear
12-19-2018, (Subject: Hauling heavy loads wear and tear ) 
Hauling heavy loads wear and tear
I pull alot or loads over 40k pounds and my truck I drive it very easy but it lugs because of the heavy weight. My question is and I always want light loads to save fuel. But how much wear and tear does hauling heavy loads do to my engine? I have done 47k pounds of flat steel through the mountains just crawling and sure it wears out my clutch and also like today, Atlanta, traffic was atrocious with these heavy coils, stop go, stop go, on and on. How much worse is it? What weight is to much before your doing alot of damage? I could probably do almost 50k pounds and be legal within 80,000 gross.
Other then fuel burned, brakes, how will my engine hold up?
replyreply
RE: Hauling heavy loads wear and tear
basically the less time you spend in the lower rpm band "below 1300" at full power the better. really 20k-50k doesnt really matter as long as your not beating the crap out of the engine at lower rpms. the lower the rpms the more internal vibrations or hammering effects on the engine.

i go off my dads truck a 2007 t600 cm870 so basically same engine hes hauled everything from 20k to 100k with it running flatbed and RGN and when he overhauled it at 1.2 or 1.3 mil the only real wear they found in his engine was the cam bearings his crosshatching in the cylinders was still visible none of his main/rod bearings were bronzed or coppered still nice and silver. he runs rotella 15-40 and lucas and it has so far worked for him he runs 65-75mph but he downshifts around 1300 when loosing speed and runs around 1500rpms down the road and runs off his pyro when climbing hills to select his gear
replyreply
The pyro just needs to be under 900 degrees right? It is for the exhaust temperature?Or is that completely different.
replyreply
12-20-2018, (Subject: Hauling heavy loads wear and tear ) 
basically for your turbos sake below 1300 turbo case temp i beleive thats the turbo killer temp
replyreply
For RGN that is something I'd like to learn about and maybe get into. I'm sure it pays more. I don't see many if them backing that I can recall. Are they a pita to back and maneuver? The t-600 is a sexy truck. How was the mpg? It is a little square on the front although I think trucks look cooler like that. Keep rebuilding that engine.
replyreply
lets put it this way...my dads own thoughts... he would never go back to RGN again... pays more yes...BUT you bounce ALOT more often then not he had 300-500mile bounces to get loads. he is currently making more PROFIT running flatbed with the company were leased onto then he was running under his own authority doing RGN. his revenue was larger but after bounce fuel/time/permits it was less than now. his t-600 averages 5.5-6mpg with stock 500HP cummins tune cm870 running mainly 65-70 and some 75 when in a hurry. his truck is the reason im so unimpressed with my bignose "prostar" having to baby the crap out of it just to get 5MPG with a demanded/6 new injectors/all new fuel actuators/13sp/500HP Tune cm871. so far ive put somewhere around 8,000 in new parts to go from 4.8ish to 5ish even running 25-30k loads at 65-67. dont get me wrong with this week averaging 2.85 per mile im making some good money but i could still sip a bit less fuel.

only thing left for me todo is put on a new head since when they overhauled it before i bought it they didnt replace.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack , flatbed94kid
12-22-2018, (Subject: Hauling heavy loads wear and tear ) 
I haul 88-90k locally with the wrong gearing as I've discussed with Rawze multiple times. Now it's relatively flat down here compared to the rest of the world but if driven properly I'm seeing the low 6's for mileage. I do try to keep the pre-turbo temps below 8-850F for best results.
replyreply
01-02-2019, (Subject: Hauling heavy loads wear and tear ) 
I’m new on here but I have had several trucks running a lot heavier than what your talking. We are 64,000 lbs empty. 140,000 loaded. Or more. In some pretty rough off road terrain north of Hinton Ab. I had an 08 with a CM871 that a friend of mine bought off me. Has 21,000 hours never been touched. Also had a 2012 with a cm2250 that was demandated from what I’m finding out now a not so good source. It had 15,000 hours when I sold it and no trouble. Either I’m lucky or heavy loads run properly doesn’t hurt them. And like the other guys said. Don’t run them low. I tell my drivers to down shift above 1400 rpm. It doesn’t hurt them to run high rpm. You do more damage down low. I just sold a 2013 I had and it had 3.58 gears that in my opinion were a little quick for what I do but run in 17th gear it cruised along 62 mph at right around 1600 rpm just perfect. And got darn good fuel mileage doing it. Although I did swap the 2250 for a cm 570 signature 600.... but that signature loved running there.

User's Signature: 2008 KWT800 CM570 18spd 4.10’s
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.