Tripac APU "Pre Evolution"
12-24-2018, (Subject: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution" ) 
RE: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution"
Figured it out turned out it was not getting a ground to the fuel shutoff solenoid
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress
12-24-2018, (Subject: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution" ) 
New problem unless I turn the lights on the Apu keeps starting stopping starting stopping runs for about 2 minutes at a time just enough for the gauge in my dash to reach about 13 volts.
With the lights on so far it's been running for 10 minutes and it's halfway between 12 and 13 mark on the gauge
replyreply
12-25-2018, (Subject: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution" ) 
If it doesn't get up to a predefined voltage it will code out with an alt code...otherwise i would say you have a weak alternator. Mine wouldn't go past 13.2 volts with the 65 amp. The 105 amp i retrofitted gets it to 14 volts in about 5 minutes.
replyreply
12-25-2018, (Subject: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution" ) 
Termoking APU alternators rotates CCW ! You MUST transfer your original(OLD) fan plate to the new alternator to provide adequate cooling to coils and most of all to the THE VOLTAGE REGULATOR!
Well discharged batteries will initiate higher current draw and alternator will work hard to meet the demand . Which in turns produces more internal heat than it can handle .
At moments like that voltage regulator simply protects the alternator itself simply limiting current in the system.
In all other cases alternator will work as is intended and rated .
Needless to say ALL terminal connections and cables from truck batteries to APU alternator MUST be immaculate. Ground cables between engine frame and alternator mounting bolt too .
And at last but not least. Not all alternators are created equal. They may look the same but have different power curve at different RPM and so on . Simple A/V readings at different modes will tell you a lot about how alternator is performing and sistem health.
replyreply
12-26-2018, (Subject: Tripac APU "Pre Evolution" ) 
Alternator is performing fine its like the programming in the APU was reaching its perscribed stop voltage and shutting down then after about 2 minutes of shutting down it got below the set start voltage and started back up creating a vicious cycling of start stop.

as soon as i turned on park lights it limited how fast the voltage climbed and APU ran as it ran for almost 45min till it shut off and stayed off for about 20min with lights on till it restarted that i expect more then 2min off 2min on run times.

i probably need to have the programming for voltage on off changed by TK or always have a small load on the system as all my park lights except the lights in my headlight housings are LED.
replyreply
(12-26-2018 )Lonestar10 Wrote:  Alternator is performing fine its like the programming in the APU was reaching its perscribed stop voltage and shutting down then after about 2 minutes of shutting down it got below the set start voltage and started back up creating a vicious cycling of start stop.

as soon as i turned on park lights it limited how fast the voltage climbed and APU ran as it ran for almost 45min till it shut off and stayed off for about 20min with lights on till it restarted that i expect more then 2min off 2min on run times.

i probably need to have the programming for voltage on off changed by TK or always have a small load on the system as all my park lights except the lights in my headlight housings are LED.

I got tired of mine cycling all the time. I disconnected the "SEN" wire (bottom left terminal in the pic) and it runs when switched on (or out of standby), and shuts off only when I turn it off or set it back into standby again. Mine also has the "SBY" wire connected to a switch in the dash so that I can leave it in standby mode while driving or take it out of standby and let it run at same time as the main truck engine.

Wired this way I get ...

* The ability to switch it on BEFORE shutting the truck off on those super hot days when i stop to fuel or stop at a shipper, etc.

* The ability to have the alternator in the APU run the truck if the alternator in the truck goes out (you just have to limit how many accessories like inverters etc. you have on when doing so). This has saved my bacon a few times, and I even went once for almost a week running on just the APU alternator till I could get stopped to fix the one on the truck.

* A separate A/C system as a supplement to the truck A/C system, or if the one in the truck goes out.

==========

I.E.> I can't stand that thing cycling. I think it is bad for them to cycle like that. I think it is better for them to run, and keep running for a few hours than it is for them to cycle on/off all the time.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
My truck doesn't have a sby switch so I can run while engine is running. But the sense removal sounds good up here in the north it gets a wee bit cold and warm engine coolant is a good thing.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.