CM 871 help please
12-28-2018, (Subject: CM 871 help please ) 
RE: CM 871 help please
(12-26-2018 )Ryeguy475 Wrote:  ... It has a vibration under load that I just cannot seem to solve

Is the truck is de-mandated (deleted) ? if so, by who?

Bad programming is notorious for making the same kinds of internal engine vibrations, usually roughly in the 1350 - 1500 rpm range too.

A slipped injection cam after the inframe can do this too. A lot of things can go wrong with an ISX inframe, and most shops set themselves up for doing the job half-arssed at best.

Just read through the Waterloo inframe adventure that I ended up helping him straighten out... What a nightmere that was. It reads like a nightmere novel saga...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid25356

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-27-2018 )slowpoke Wrote:  just to mention, when mine had an (engine vibration with a slight fuel knock) turned out to be a timing actuator i started by swapping out rear metering actuator with a known good used one i had no change. put that one on front cyl. no change except now i could hear knocking at idle, put original back on still knocking then swapped out front timing actuator, knocking gone almost immediately, engine smoothed right out, pulled right down to 1150 rpm and up to 1800 rpm just to try, still no knock or vibration. but i was lucky enough to have kept two actuators as spares . there not cheap just to try out.

Was that knock and vibration constant, or only under a load?
replyreply
(12-28-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 )Ryeguy475 Wrote:  ... It has a vibration under load that I just cannot seem to solve

Is the truck is de-mandated (deleted) ? if so, by who?

Bad programming is notorious for making the same kinds of internal engine vibrations, usually roughly in the 1350 - 1500 rpm range too.

A slipped injection cam after the inframe can do this too. A lot of things can go wrong with an ISX inframe, and most shops set themselves up for doing the job half-arssed at best.

Just read through the Waterloo inframe adventure that I ended up helping him straighten out... What a nightmere that was. It reads like a nightmere novel saga...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...6#pid25356

Hi Rawze,
Thanks for your time, yes the truck is deleted, it was done before I bought it. The guy that did it lives near me and he supposedly does good work. I can’t tell who’s “program” he uses. I’m not sure. This has been hell though I can tell you that. I had the inframe done due to a cracked piston, ran it for a year then this vibration under load started. My (ex) mechanic told me it was in my imagination lol. Well I changed the clutch, trans, vibration dampener then the CRANKSHAFT broke. Put crank + bearings etc in got it back, vibration still there. Took ecm out had an updated tune put in, ran great for a few days then vibration came right back. Is 265 psi fuel too low when pulling under 90% load?
replyreply
Oh btw odometer reads 642k Miles, 26,200 engine hours. They did rush the inframe job, it was done in 2 days. Cummins parts w reman head.
replyreply
(12-28-2018 )Ryeguy475 Wrote:  Hi Rawze,
Thanks for your time, yes the truck is deleted, it was done before I bought it. The guy that did it lives near me and he supposedly does good work. I can’t tell who’s “program” he uses. I’m not sure. This has been hell though I can tell you that. I had the inframe done due to a cracked piston, ran it for a year then this vibration under load started. My (ex) mechanic told me it was in my imagination lol. Well I changed the clutch, trans, vibration dampener then the CRANKSHAFT broke. Put crank + bearings etc in got it back, vibration still there. Took ecm out had an updated tune put in, ran great for a few days then vibration came right back. Is 265 psi fuel too low when pulling under 90% load?

I would have the program double checked to ensure it is safe, even if you don't suspect it as being a cause if you care about your engine and its longevity at all. Your welcome to e-mail me the program out of it and I will look it over with an objective opinion if you like. I PM'd you my number.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Ryeguy475
01-01-2019, (Subject: CM 871 help please ) 
(01-01-2019 )LRT1549 Wrote:  Pay attention to when you have the vibration. See if it's vibrating while in a pull where you are at 100% throttle. Then when it's vibrating look at you boost pressure.

I've seen several of these vibrate under a 100% throttle when the boost goes over 38lbs.

When it's vibrating try backing your foot off the throttle slightly till you boost goes down to 35 or so and see if it still vibrates.

If you find this to be the problem then you over boosting the engine, and you need your turbo closing and opening adjusted.

It doesn’t make any difference what the boost is, as soon as it gets to where it’s working it vibrates. I’ve seen where many ppl complained about this type of vibration on these. Must be a common thing, I’m just worried the engine will come apart again!
replyreply
01-01-2019, (Subject: CM 871 help please ) 
(12-27-2018 )Roysbigtoys Wrote:  
(12-26-2018 )Ryeguy475 Wrote:  Hello,
I own a 2009 871 450hp. It has a vibration under load that I just cannot seem to solve. When it’s parked I can rev it up and it’s fine, unloaded it isn’t too bad until...I go up a hill. Loaded it’s worse. I know it’s coming from the engine. This is what I’ve done so far... in frame 90k miles ago. New vibration dampener 4 months ago, new motor mounts, new clutch, reman trans. I did the injector leak test that I learned from Rawze, found #6 was leaking, replaced that. Made no difference!! I did the leak test again to make sure and it passed, no bubbles. This thing is driving me insane! I found a local Cummins “guru” that worked for Cummins for 16 years, he plugged into it and went for a ride with me, he agreed the vibration was coming from the engine. It’s almost like a slight fuel knock or similar. He did the cyl cutout test and it passed. The only thing he saw that he didn’t like was fuel pressure was 240 idle and 265 under full load when I was pulling a hill. He thought that was low pressure. My fuel economy hasn’t changed since this vibration started 6 months ago.[/align] Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated!

I too had a engine vibration about 3 years ago ......or at least I thought so. It only vibrated when climbing elevations. It turned out to be the stupid transmission heat exchanger leaking anti freeze into the tranny and for some reason that caused my vibration. I took the stupid exchanger off, flushed it with the tranny with ATF, refilled with 80W90 and my problem went away.
This fall the tranny finally started giving me problems when shifting from hi/lo so I replaced my 13 spd with an 18 spd. I am now looking for a good air to air cooler that will mount right up to my 09' Pete 386...any suggestions?

not sure if you had and looking to replace or don't have and lookingto install
but maybe check this guys mine was 647.00 GENERAL RADIATOR.COM id call

User's Signature: Just my 2 cents + -
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Roysbigtoys

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.