Droping the transmission
05-03-2016, (Subject: Droping the transmission ) 
Droping the transmission
I was fixing an air leak and noticed a oil leak from the inspection cover on the transmission,
Didnt have a chance to inspect it as it was raining, if I have to drop the transmission would harbor freght 2000lb jack work?
Its 2012 cascadia isx with auto 10 speed
replyreply
RE: Droping the transmission
If it is a transmission jack yes. If it is a floor jack, it will, but you will need another set of hands, if not three to get it out. Most likely that oil is coming from the bell housing gasket, and if it is, better to take it to a shop from my understanding as it is a bitch to do. I just had mine done, as did a friend of mine. That housing has an oil return galley in it from the top of the motor back to the pan. You need to use a micrometer to reinstall the housing. Not something I would attempt if you have not done one or two before. Leave it to Cummins... Just do a google on ISX Bell housing gasket, plenty of horror stories out there.
replyreply
Could also be the rear main seal, but that requires a $pecial tool to remove/install.
replyreply
Just had my rear main seal replaced by Peterbilt of Springfield, MO.........replaced seal, clutch, clutch brake, release bearing, input shaft kit (shaft, seals), checked the cross-shaft bearings.....after all is said and done......$4255.00...that includes replacing BOTH rear engine mounts at $400.00 a pop plus 2 hrs labor per..........855,000mi on the clock.

User's Signature: You want how much?
replyreply
(05-03-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  I was fixing an air leak and noticed a oil leak from the inspection cover on the transmission,
Didnt have a chance to inspect it as it was raining, if I have to drop the transmission would harbor freght 2000lb jack work?
Its 2012 cascadia isx with auto 10 speed

I would NOT do it without a proper trans jack! You're talking an easy 1000 lbs of tranny coming down on you if you move the wrong way,
maybe the last thing you ever do! I've done it 3 times with help and it is not easy. Believe it or not, there really isn't that much room to work with when you're laying on your back or trying to sit up. If you can bench press a Roadranger and hold it for ten minutes, go for it!

NOT the same as doing the trans in your pickup. Really a job best left to a pro, and a well equipped shop, even then they will work for every dollar!

Best reason for the tranny jack is bolting it up to the plate to maintain the same input shaft angle when you go to put it back in, providing you don't have to get it out from under the truck
Otherwise, unless you're built like The Rock you're in for a rough time!

The leak could also be the input shaft seal. I think the Eaton shaft kit also comes with the tool to install the seal.
Scottydog did it right. Not something you want to do first time without an experienced hand guiding you.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201605/post_65_1462312445_d9524c699bdb7c8b4d81771a94ba52aa.jpg

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
Pulling a transmission is actually on of the 'easier' major repairs in my opinion. The biggest thing is a strong jack. Those things will kill you very fast. Never NEVER get under it even when you think it's stable on the jack. We had a driver that lost his brother to an Eaton falling on him.
I put a ratchet strap around the jack head and transmission when I have it placed where I want it and tighten it down. You can also use the jack to remove and reinstall the drive shaft.
replyreply
05-04-2016, (Subject: Droping the transmission ) 
This Is the jack i had in mind
http://m.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-low-p...60240.html
replyreply
(05-04-2016 )sbtrucking Wrote:  This Is the jack i had in mind
http://m.harborfreight.com/2000-lb-low-p...60240.html

I don't know if I would trust my life to a harbor-freight Chinese jack.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: PuroCumminsPower
Is your life is worth $299.99?....don't be cheap when is comes to your or someone else's life, a transmission weighs north of 800 pounds or so, if that jack fails whoever is under it is toast.

User's Signature: In the immortal words of Romeo as he gazed upon Juliet's eyes..."Wait...We Drank What?!"
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.