Droping the transmission
05-04-2016, (Subject: Droping the transmission ) 
RE: Droping the transmission
I would take it to a shop. I have seen guys wrestle these things out in the oil field in a dirt parking lot. No thanks. Let the pros handle this one. But if you must, I would have at least the proper jack and straps to secure it to the jack. I saw my 18 speed sitting on the shop floor the other day, and there ain't no way in hell I would attempt removing it.
replyreply
05-04-2016, (Subject: Droping the transmission ) 
That jack is too narrow in my book and may not lift high enough if you have the truck on blocks or jack stands. A good truck trans jack will be much wider and the plate should be about 12x18 inches.

Rawze is right about the Chinese metal. I would be afraid of it buckling under stress.

You might search Craigslist for a good used one for the same price.
I'm all for DIY but only if I can do it safely and don't have to do it twice.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
05-05-2016, (Subject: Droping the transmission ) 
Well these guys are changing one in the TA parking lot today.I left around 10am this morning and they started after I left.I stopped back by around 4pm and they had it out and getting ready to go back with it.

Attached File(s)Image(s)
./uploads/201605/post_1976_1462479039_ff18f13d7160eb30f6ef731ff71acdca.jpeg
replyreply
Hey, you do what ya gotta do! Nobody said it can't be done!
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I find those situations most hazardous times because emotions tend to override logic.
Always good to step back and think it through.

I just don't want anybody to get hurt thinking you can DIY and just wing it on something I said or DIDN'T say! It's really about " risk vs. reward ". If you wind up out of work for 3-4 months, is that profitable? A broken wrist or smashed hand can happen with one wrong move.

The old saying " the right tool for the right job" didn't stick for no reason.

User's Signature: 2010 386 Pete CM871, 13 spd. 3.55
replyreply
(05-05-2016 )in2trux Wrote:  Hey, you do what ya gotta do! Nobody said it can't be done!
Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I find those situations most hazardous times because emotions tend to override logic.
Always good to step back and think it through.

I just don't want anybody to get hurt thinking you can DIY and just wing it on something I said or DIDN'T say! It's really about " risk vs. reward ". If you wind up out of work for 3-4 months, is that profitable? A broken wrist or smashed hand can happen with one wrong move.

The old saying " the right tool for the right job" didn't stick for no reason.

I wish they was more honest repair shops around. I went through the samething Afew months ago. I was looking at doing it myself I was looking at buying a jack that I may use 1 time at a cost of a thousand dollars. So I decided on getting a shop to do it. I got a quote of 3500 to 4000 to pull transmission and rebuild it plus what ever the cost of the clutch is. When I went to pick it up a week pasted when was supposed to be ready the bill was 7500 dollars. If I had it to do over I would have bought the Jack and did it myself. I could have bought the Jack pulled trans and took it to fuller got one of there rebuilds with a nationwide warranty for acouple thousand less than what I paid. With that being said there are people that shouldn't be driving a truck much less working on them. I think a good Jack and a concrete pad or floor is mandatory. The reason I posted the pic was more out of humor than debate I had just seen the post in the last day or so and seeing someone changing a trans in a parking lot is not a everyday thing. That is only the second time I have seen it in around 25 years of driving.
replyreply
Let me put it this way . Any tool , even the best tool , in the hands of a man good for nothing , is just a piece of metal ! The right tools makes the job easier for a man that know what he's doing! In 99% he can get it done properly even without the right tool !
replyreply
(05-05-2016 )Wiseman Wrote:  Let me put it this way . Any tool , even the best tool , in the hands of a man good for nothing , is just a peace of metal ! The right tools makes the job easier for man that know what he's doing! In 99% he can get it done properly even without the right tool !

Agreed
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.