Bent rear axle?
12-29-2018, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
Bent rear axle?
So I'm just starting to drive new (to me) truck around ...... had a wobble .... when driving I could look out back window and see drivers side rear inside dual was moving side to side (difficult to see without crashing) sooo today I jacked up that corner started truck and put it in gear and went out to look .... definite wobble, both wheels .... I tried to hold something along inside hub where axle mounts but with tire shaking and stuff moving I got scairt. With truck turned off and brakes released I cannot move tires up and down as if there would be play in bearings. Next step is to pull wheels off and drum and take a peek ..... if I pull axle how would I know if its bent? Truck came from Ritchie Bro. and was not running and I have seen them when loading ...to get truck straight on transport trailer they push on a wheel with loader ..sometimes pretty hard so I'm thinking they might have bent an axle that way?
Any thoughts?
replyreply
RE: Bent rear axle?
If the axle is bent I would think it would make some noise and a lot of heat when driving.Also I've seen wreckers pull like hell on a wheel to get a truck turned the way they want it. Afterwards never a bent axle.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
A bent axle like that should be easy to see or figure out once removed. I doubt it is the axle, sounds more like the wheel/hub bearing and race. Rawze has a video on just that, here is 1 of 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd0yXzXthv4

You did check the springs and bushings too, right? Check the torque rods too up between the frame rails for wear and abuse.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
put a dial indicator on it and rotate it with the tires off it and breaks released..

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-29-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  If the axle is bent I would think it would make some noise and a lot of heat when driving.Also I've seen wreckers pull like hell on a wheel to get a truck turned the way they want it. Afterwards never a bent axle.
I have not hauled any weight just an empty trailer but I always walk around and check hubs and rear ends for heat as its new to me, no heat? My first thought was a bent rim but its into the brake drum ... if I step on brakes lightly it chatters? could brake drum be so warped it moves hub? bad bearing maybe?
replyreply
(12-29-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  If the axle is bent I would think it would make some noise and a lot of heat when driving.Also I've seen wreckers pull like hell on a wheel to get a truck turned the way they want it. Afterwards never a bent axle.
I have not hauled any weight just an empty trailer but I always walk around and check hobs and rear ends for heat as its new to me, no heat? My first thought was a bent rim but its into the brake drum ... if I step on brakes lightly it chatters? could brake drum be so warped it moves hub? bad bearing maybe?

Could be the hub, if someone really overheated it and warped it... You said the truck did not run when you bought it, God only knows what it has been through.
replyreply
Update: I pulled wheels and drum .. put it in gear with engine running and axle moves up and down (no dial indicator but I braced a tire iron against the side) moves about a 1/4 inch. tried to wiggle hub with tire iron and no play? If the truck didn't spin it I would be thinking broken axle?
Tomorrow I will pull axle and maybe hub?
replyreply
(12-29-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  put a dial indicator on it and rotate it with the tires off it and breaks released..
Yep, moves up and down 1/4 inch? no dial indicator but used a tire iron firmly braced. So two options? either bent axle or race in hub is messed up? No play in hub when pried on.
replyreply
You most likely won't be able move hub up and down with axle bolted to hub ,after you pull axle not of hub you will probably be able to move hub, you probably will see how loose wheel bearing nuts are as soon as soon as you get axle out but I'm just guessing good luck
replyreply
 Thanks given by: snailexpress

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.