Bent rear axle?
12-29-2018, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
RE: Bent rear axle?
I'd venture to guess it's a bad hub. I don't get to see the failures on this stuff so I'm curious to see what you find. Who knows, one of the races could have spun and is cocked or hub warped. If the axle is bent, the only way I can see how it could happen is by twisting. I would think that any amount of force that could bend it from the wheel end would destroy a lot of other things in the process?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack , in2trux
(12-29-2018 )Waterloo Wrote:  A bent axle like that should be easy to see or figure out once removed. I doubt it is the axle, sounds more like the wheel/hub bearing and race. Rawze has a video on just that, here is 1 of 7.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qd0yXzXthv4

You did check the springs and bushings too, right? Check the torque rods too up between the frame rails for wear and abuse.
Thanks! I'm watching the series now .....hub cake!!!! :-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(12-29-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  I'd venture to guess it's a bad hub. I don't get to see the failures on this stuff so I'm curious to see what you find. Who knows, one of the races could have spun and is cocked or hub warped. If the axle is bent, the only way I can see how it could happen is by twisting. I would think that any amount of force that could bend it from the wheel end would destroy a lot of other things in the process?
yeah, kinda has me worried .... the good is the wheel seal is not leaking? hub is not loose? odd is if axle was bent enough to wobble hub you would think the bearings would be loose?
replyreply
(12-29-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Thanks! I'm watching the series now .....hub cake!!!! :-)

re-do all the rest while your at it. -- Neglect from not re-torquing them every 200k miles at its best more than likely.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
(12-29-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Thanks! I'm watching the series now .....hub cake!!!! :-)

re-do all the rest while your at it. -- Neglect from not re-torquing them every 200k miles at its best more than likely.
truck only has 200,000 miles ......I am really wondering if someone stuffed a bent axle in it? the truck stopped in 2015 due to fuel pump failure, it was missing a few parts.
replyreply
12-30-2018, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
(12-29-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(12-29-2018 )Rawze Wrote:  

truck only has 200,000 miles ......I am really wondering if someone stuffed a bent axle in it? the truck stopped in 2015 due to fuel pump failure, it was missing a few parts.

Today's assembly quality is well known. Sometime new trucks can't make it to the dealer yard.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , imalumberjack
Update: pulled axle and hub ......nothing noticeable!!!!:-(((( I'm not sure how I would find a bend in axle flange? no cracks, twists or stress marks? tried rolling it on trailer deck (kinda rough) nothing jumped out at me? Bearings? looked like new? the only thing I noticed was at removal, it was like Rawze said ...they were not tight? I could not move hub up and down or in and out but when I removed adjuster nuts I did it with my fingers (a slight single tap with hammer) obviously not 200 ft pounds? could not see any gap at race (pulled sleeve)?

Plan is to reinstall hub and bearings in morning and torque? maybe install one tire and spin? option 2) is replace hub, bearings and axle??????
replyreply
I can't see how the axle shaft could get bent and the axle housing not also be bent. I really think your problem is something else. The wheel bearings ride on the axle housing essentially so that's what would have to be bent for it to do what your describing.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(12-30-2018 )tree98 Wrote:  I can't see how the axle shaft could get bent and the axle housing not also be bent. I really think your problem is something else. The wheel bearings ride on the axle housing essentially so that's what would have to be bent for it to do what your describing.
the wheel bearings are in hub ....if it was whole axle housing bent it would just angle the wheel ... I have considered the hub to be bent? would be very odd ..
the axle I slide it in housing and wiggle up and down to slip into splines so its loose floating in housing (I am only thinking here) sooooo if axle flange was bent it would destroy bearings in short order .... and if hub was just loose (bearings) the axle would not allow it to wobble side to side ..only up and down and in and out? .........I have thought about crap in between drum and hub mounting to make it cattywompus but I don't see anything?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.