Bent rear axle?
12-30-2018, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
RE: Bent rear axle?
How bout this ... I reinstall hub, tighten bearings to spec .. if its bent flange on axle I should be able to see a gap when I slide it up against hub?
replyreply
(12-30-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  How bout this ... I reinstall hub, tighten bearings to spec .. if its bent flange on axle I should be able to see a gap when I slide it up against hub?

If you just put the hub on, use a dial indicator to check the drum/wheel flange for runout while turning it by hand. If a bent flange could cause wheel wobble, I'd think that it would have to be pretty noticeable. Another possibility is that the drum wasn't seated correctly - happens when guys just throw the wheels on and run down with an impact.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
(12-30-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  
(12-30-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  How bout this ... I reinstall hub, tighten bearings to spec .. if its bent flange on axle I should be able to see a gap when I slide it up against hub?

If you just put the hub on, use a dial indicator to check the drum/wheel flange for runout while turning it by hand. If a bent flange could cause wheel wobble, I'd think that it would have to be pretty noticeable. Another possibility is that the drum wasn't seated correctly - happens when guys just throw the wheels on and run down with an impact.
No dial indicator :-( its very noticeable ... I can see while driving looking through back window at driver side rear wheel ..it moves side to side like a bent rim. Jacked up just that corner and ran truck with it in gear ..it wobbles ...gentle application of brake peddle and it surges like brake drum is warped ....
replyreply
12-31-2018, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
(12-30-2018 )imalumberjack Wrote:  
(12-30-2018 )Nostalgic Wrote:  

No dial indicator :-( its very noticeable ... I can see while driving looking through back window at driver side rear wheel ..it moves side to side like a bent rim. Jacked up just that corner and ran truck with it in gear ..it wobbles ...gentle application of brake peddle and it surges like brake drum is warped ....
Is hub only, without brake drum and axle installed wobbling if you turning it by the hands?
replyreply
I think you could swap axle shaft front to rear and see if the wobble follows the shaft or stays with the hub. Assuming the shafts are the same that is
replyreply
(12-31-2018 )Nilao Wrote:  I think you could swap axle shaft front to rear and see if the wobble follows the shaft or stays with the hub. Assuming the shafts are the same that is
I was kinda thinking the same? Right now I cleaned everything real well and am about to put it together and see if there is a difference.
replyreply
01-01-2019, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
Sooooo, cleaned everything and put it back together (what in the hell is that dumb sleeve for in between the bearings?) torqued to 200 ft pounds backed it off then torqued to 50ft pounds and it said to back off a quarter turn? seemed pretty loose then? slapped it together and spun it around ....no wobble ....I think it might have been the idiot (me) that put the tires on with an impact? maybe had them crossed up? have not went for a ride yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
replyreply
01-02-2019, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
(01-01-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Sooooo, cleaned everything and put it back together (what in the hell is that dumb sleeve for in between the bearings?) torqued to 200 ft pounds backed it off then torqued to 50ft pounds and it said to back off a quarter turn? seemed pretty loose then? slapped it together and spun it around ....no wobble ....I think it might have been the idiot (me) that put the tires on with an impact? maybe had them crossed up? have not went for a ride yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Your description of how you torqued them does not sound right.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid31187
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid32017

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
01-02-2019, (Subject: Bent rear axle? ) 
(01-02-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-01-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  Sooooo, cleaned everything and put it back together (what in the hell is that dumb sleeve for in between the bearings?) torqued to 200 ft pounds backed it off then torqued to 50ft pounds and it said to back off a quarter turn? seemed pretty loose then? slapped it together and spun it around ....no wobble ....I think it might have been the idiot (me) that put the tires on with an impact? maybe had them crossed up? have not went for a ride yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Your description of how you torqued them does not sound right.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid31187
and...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...7#pid32017
Yeah, I was not liking how the adjustment worked, I will have to pull it a part and re do it. My instructions were 50 ft pounds and back off 1/4 turn ..... I didn't as it seemed loose but I did only have it snug. I also did not do initial torque with sleeve out. DSP40 rears.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.