Belly Dumps
12-31-2018, (Subject: Belly Dumps ) 
Belly Dumps
Hey guy's i'm new to the forum I want to thank everyone for all of the information on here.
My question is for those of you that have ran belly dumps. I'm looking to buy a a used truck and I started out wanting a kenworth without the Paccar engine but it seems hard to find one with less than 500,000 miles at a reasonable price. I'm just looking to hear pros and cons iv'e been thinking a freightliner with the dd15 in it. However, i'm afraid a Freightliner wouldn't hold up causmedically with this type of work.
replyreply
RE: Belly Dumps
I read your profile so at least you know what you are getting into truck abuse wise, I am assuming you are going to haul dirt witch is hard on trucks if your doing sand and gravel abuse will be way less.I would not worry about price as much as dependability the payment on a newer or new truck is less than the repair and down time on an old truck you want to see something unreasonable the price of repair and down time will make a grown man cry and leave you divorced. What city are you working in ?
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Claw , Waterloo
I will be working out of San Bernardino but will work where ever the work is since in the winter it gets slow. If you don't mind me asking what type of trucks are your running?
replyreply
2 Pete 378's and a new KW T880 I run super 10's and we also pull pups with them when needed. I work north San Diego county mostly. I hope you are in good with a broker work seems to have slowed a little and its tough if you are on the bottom of the list. Can you do your own repairs its a big plus not to have to pay or weight for a mechanic to fix your truck.
replyreply
I haven't really worked on much just the normal pop a fuse out chase light small stuff like that but i'm definitely going to be learning. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic so i'm going to learn as much as possible from him in order to save some money. I do have a broker that will be charging me 9 percent to use his trailers and my dad has known since high school so i'm hoping that will help get me a little higher on the list lol. Do the super tens get as slow as the bottom dumps iv'e hear it a little easier to find work for them since they get in to tighter places than doubles.
replyreply
(12-31-2018 )arch_stanton Wrote:  2 Pete 378's and a new KW T880 I run super 10's and we also pull pups with them when needed. I work north San Diego county mostly. I hope you are in good with a broker work seems to have slowed a little and its tough if you are on the bottom of the list. Can you do your own repairs its a big plus not to have to pay or weight for a mechanic to fix your truck.
does the kw have the paccar engine?
replyreply
I'm in norcal and end dumps do far better for staying busy, super tag better than the end dump.
I have a friend that just bought a new kw and pulls end dump and a new Pete? that's a super tag both have the Paccar engine. So far he likes them but both trucks probably have under 50,000 miles.
replyreply
(12-31-2018 )Claw Wrote:  I haven't really worked on much just the normal pop a fuse out chase light small stuff like that but i'm definitely going to be learning. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic so i'm going to learn as much as possible from him in order to save some money. I do have a broker that will be charging me 9 percent to use his trailers and my dad has known since high school so i'm hoping that will help get me a little higher on the list lol. Do the super tens get as slow as the bottom dumps iv'e hear it a little easier to find work for them since they get in to tighter places than doubles.
I think the going rate for trailer rental through a broker is 25% so 9% would be great. The great thing about super 10's is there are one and 2 truck jobs you don't have to be part of a major job to get work and the tighter jobs can not be done with bottoms, pup,s or end dumps. The main thing that will keep your truck busy is what is your brokers main focus and how aggressive they are within your area and the market can change and leave you S.O.L. In San Diego the go to dump site for fill dirt for years was the landfill, they did not take bottom dumps or end dumps so I had a big cost advantage over the super 10's, 10 wheels, and bottom dumps, but about 2 years ago they changed the rules to no pup trailers, now super 10's due all the work so my pup trailers are sitting way more, but things can change at any time and pups become more competitive again its good to be flexible. The new T880 has the cummins X15,18 speed auto shift, 46k rears on ADZ air ride.
replyreply
01-01-2019, (Subject: Belly Dumps ) 
(12-31-2018 )arch_stanton Wrote:  
(12-31-2018 )Claw Wrote:  I haven't really worked on much just the normal pop a fuse out chase light small stuff like that but i'm definitely going to be learning. I have a friend that is a diesel mechanic so i'm going to learn as much as possible from him in order to save some money. I do have a broker that will be charging me 9 percent to use his trailers and my dad has known since high school so i'm hoping that will help get me a little higher on the list lol. Do the super tens get as slow as the bottom dumps iv'e hear it a little easier to find work for them since they get in to tighter places than doubles.
I think the going rate for trailer rental through a broker is 25% so 9% would be great. The great thing about super 10's is there are one and 2 truck jobs you don't have to be part of a major job to get work and the tighter jobs can not be done with bottoms, pup,s or end dumps. The main thing that will keep your truck busy is what is your brokers main focus and how aggressive they are within your area and the market can change and leave you S.O.L. In San Diego the go to dump site for fill dirt for years was the landfill, they did not take bottom dumps or end dumps so I had a big cost advantage over the super 10's, 10 wheels, and bottom dumps, but about 2 years ago they changed the rules to no pup trailers, now super 10's due all the work so my pup trailers are sitting way more, but things can change at any time and pups become more competitive again its good to be flexible. The new T880 has the cummins X15,18 speed auto shift, 46k rears on ADZ air ride.
Super 10? is that what I am calling super tag? tag axle on back, oversized bed? empty at 23 thou and carry 65,000? we are getting whole fleets of them around here and they beat out an end dump. Being a logger I always hate giving up the adaptability of a tractor, I could haul logs, chips, rock, dirt, lowboy or even send it over the road if needed.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.