Condensate in oil fill cap
01-03-2019, (Subject: Condensate in oil fill cap ) 
Condensate in oil fill cap
Shows on the cap, not the dipstick. Back on the road after the truck was parked for a couple of weeks. This at about 8hrs run time after being parked. Engine also cools completely overnight (no idle). Could this be atmospheric humidity in the blowby gasses (do have pretty good amount of blowby) or should I be looking for something else? Crankcase filter had a few drops of loose water but no milk.
Isx 871 build 2009 800k.
./uploads/201901/post_3119_1546559143_7365ec1d1d0a5a63ae1c63d1288cbcaa.jpg

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
01-03-2019, (Subject: Condensate in oil fill cap ) 
RE: Condensate in oil fill cap
Oil sample maybe?
replyreply
01-04-2019, (Subject: Condensate in oil fill cap ) 
I'm on the road. Any recommendations for getting a test packet? I can stop at the International dealer in Las Cruces NM. Going to Houston.

replyreply
A little condensation is normal. How hot is the oil temp getting? Over 200* to burn off the H2O? I don't think you have anything to worry about, unless there are other issues you have not stated, like driving through a lake or something.
replyreply
No lakes. Oil runs just over 205+-, coolant hovers at 185 unless heavy or hills. Was looking for the cause of a small coolant loss. About 3 pints in 40k miles. Found pink dust at the zone control valve, sleeper heater core inlet and a little around the radiator cap. Always hoping for the best and fearing the worst.
The level changes from time to time. Right now it looks high. Testerday was low. Thinking the system may have drawn in air overnight at a leak point. Usually the big radiator upper hose collapses overnight. This morning system was cold but hose was full. Don't carry the vacuum gizmo on the road. Will try to burp the system.

replyreply
If the hose is collapsing overnight i think you have a bad cap that is not venting to allow air in to stop a vacuum from forming.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , rrod
New cap, pressurize the system and start chasing the leaks and loose hose clamps. Winter is always the worst time for these annoying leaks. The hot and cold, contract, expand...
replyreply
 Thanks given by: DosGatos , rrod
(01-04-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  If the hose is collapsing overnight i think you have a bad cap that is not venting to allow air in to stop a vacuum from forming.
Didn't realize the cap had a one-way valve.

replyreply
Wow! New cap $40.

replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.