Cummins isx15 high pressure fuel pump
01-04-2019, (Subject: Cummins isx15 high pressure fuel pump ) 
Cummins isx15 high pressure fuel pump
I just had the plungers detonate. What is the proper way of wash out the engine out and how long does it take
replyreply
RE: Cummins isx15 high pressure fuel pump
umm well depends how much metal/ceramic is in all the oil system and if the fuel pump had the redesigned filter system on it to protect parts from the catastrophe. engine might be ok/severaly reduced in life span/toast
replyreply
Better call Mr Hagg... He has it down to a science, I believe it consists of diesel fuel and oil, flush, and flush, depending on how bad it is and how far it got. I believe he stated around 9 flushes, and pray for the best. : (678) 688-8107

How long was it driven with the check engine light or fuel pressure warning code popping? That will give everyone here a better idea of where you stand with this motor.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
I bought a truck that this happened to, not good. Mr. Hagg on here helped by giving me his cleaning procedure and if your near Georgia that's where I would take it.
For starters I would do two things .. remove fuel pump and look at how much of the plungers is missing and damage to pump ( its near $4000.00) next drop the pan and pull no.4 main and look for damage to crankshaft journal. If crank journal is acceptable then the process is something like this: you need to remove oil pump (check for damage) oil cooler, jake head, rocker arms and flush engine oil system (I used diesel then flushed with 5 weight oil at end.

After doing this myself these are my thoughts: when I started I am looking at what caused the damage ..two pieces of ceramic material about 3/8's by 1/4 inch? How much damage can something that small cause? significant! what it does is shatters down to smaller pieces while in pump, somewhat like a rock in a crusher, and it disperses these pieces a little at a time to travel through engine. the ceramic is very hard (harder than bearing material) it seems to get trapped in a bearing then continue grinding. When I flushed mine I used layers of material to filter flushing medium so I could see what was in there ..what I came up with was about a teaspoon of metal and three teaspoons of sand? that's what it looked like to me? I rolled in new mains and rods and truck is running today ...this has been a project and I have not run the truck hauling yet but its getting close. Sooooo ......the problem is this ....I am sure the engine I put together will run for awhile ..maybe a few hundred thou? maybe not? and I am ok with that, it breaks I fix it? .........what kind of reliability do you want? Buying another engine to put in? what If you get the engine that had the same thing happen to it? I'm not sure there is a good answer, you can spend a small fortune to completely rebuild? an in frame may not clear the damage?
And lastly from what I seen in damage to mine it seemed to be contained in the area of first travel .... fuel pump, gears out of pump, oil pump, main bearings.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , trucklogger2
Replacing the guts (tappets, plungers, and rollers) of the high pressure pump every 400k miles prevents this night-mere. Here is another unlucky one ...
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...9#pid15389

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack
Well I opened the motor today and went thru it and even stranded the oil and fuel and did not find any particles thru out the whole thing the particles stayed in the bottom of the fuel pump thank God for that one. I finally got the porcine tappets of I had 1 and 3/4 of them left but the other quarter was sitting on the bottom of the housing.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(01-04-2019 )Maverick35 Wrote:  Well I opened the motor today and went thru it and even stranded the oil and fuel and did not find any particles thru out the whole thing the particles stayed in the bottom of the fuel pump thank God for that one. I finally got the porcine tappets of I had 1 and 3/4 of them left but the other quarter was sitting on the bottom of the housing.
That's what I thought on mine .... if you look at the tappet there is only a tiny hole on lower side for pieces to migrate to pump oil cavity, the problem is that is where the oil enters so each time the truck was shut off pieces could migrate backwards so if you do not flush that passage there is a high probability you will contaminate the system. You can handle this as you see fit but first google failed pump .....its no joke.
At a minimum I would do several oil changes in quick succession ..... if you have pieces that made it to the main bearing not only will it destroy the bearing it will ruin the crank in short order ....in other words? you WILL be replacing the engine as it will NOT be repairable.
replyreply
I even drained and dropped the oil and pan had no shaving or no kind of hard particles but i did blow out all fuel lines and rail just to be on the safe side still need to change filters but still thing of doing the oil and diesel wash to it anyway better safe then sorry. Driver did tell me that the check engine light came on for a min and then the truck shut down.
replyreply
(01-04-2019 )Maverick35 Wrote:  I even drained and dropped the oil and pan had no shaving or no kind of hard particles but i did blow out all fuel lines and rail just to be on the safe side still need to change filters but still thing of doing the oil and diesel wash to it anyway better safe then sorry. Driver did tell me that the check engine light came on for a min and then the truck shut down.
The fuel side is usually safe as the plungers shatter on the oil side. I had no shavings in oil either it does not have that affect ....its tiny pieces of ceramic that gets locked into main bearings. When you pull fuel pump inspect the cam (rotates the tappets) also look at gear on pump (you have to remove it) what I seen was imbedded ceramic? in the teeth ... none were broken on mine but I have seen pictures of others. They also seem to run for quite a while when they are slowly killing an engine.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.