Good fuel card
01-04-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
RE: Good fuel card
I have RTS by wex this week cash price 2.80s. My price 2.30-2.33 in Nebraska/Iowa/Minnesota at Sapp Bros and bk Smitty's in St cloud mn
replyreply
The guy that brought me in to the company I am currently with quit the other day, laid it on me this past weekend... I knew it was coming, just not this soon, figured another month or two... I am in the Detroit area... Anyhow...

The owner of the Canadian company I am leased to is getting ready to release control to his son and retire. Son is not to keen on our work in the USA... My boss is a go getter, he wanted to expand our US operation in a reasonable way to increase revenue across the board, the son is not interested...

Back to my boss, he was raised in the trucking industry by his father, who owned a medium sized trucking company here in Detroit for many years until he sold and retired... I know the company, and they were top notch. He grew up in this racket and knows how to make a buck, trust me on that. Bear with me...

He texted me Saturday of last week and stated he had quit and was moving on, he shot me his new phone number and I immediately texted him back and stated that I am going with him... He called in less than 30 seconds and filled me in... Here we go...

Another Canadian trucking company, 100+ trucks and a few O/O has been hounding my boss for two years to start up an operation for them in Detroit like he has done for the outfit I am currently with... This new company wanted to break into the US market, but did not have a guy like my boss to lead the new venture. This will be the third company my boss has done this for, internal politics, it gets ugly with this racket. Keep reading.

The operation calling my boss, the owner used to work for his father, he got his start there... He is an old and respected family friend with a well established business. What is going on currently has been in the works for around 8 months, on the QT, since the owner of my current company is set to retire and turn over the business to his disinterested son... My gut says a few weeks and they will close the US operation at the company I am currently with.

Everything is set up here on the US side, contracts are set, trailers are here, Qualcom ELD's are here, authority is all approved, door signs are being made...

And when I say contracts, they are automotive and general freight, same main brokers we deal with in the automotive world, and other non auto contracts that the new company has established in the past twenty years. ;-)

There is good money in shuttling freight to the border and to have the Canadian side come and grab it. Any of you that have worked the Canadian US border already know that. I have no interest in going to Canada. Drop and hook along with servicing the same accounts I am used to.

The pay, we will have a choice between hourly (don't ask, I have no clue), percentage and mileage. Local, regional and OTR... Again, no clue. I trust this guy, he has always been a straight shooter and the only reason I stay put. He goes, I go, and where he goes I go. Best outfit I have ever been with, and I expect the same at this new outfit with Jeff in the driver seat. He bought in too, he has a 50% stake. I know, 50% of nothing is nothing, and can get you into trouble. Me, I'm trusting him to do me right, as are the few of us he is bringing with him, only three of us are invited. He has not screwed me in the past four years, and has always gone to the wall for me when needed, which to be honest has been very rare, as there have never been in any issues here. How many guys can say that?

So, we shall see... He has not told us the name of the outfit as of yet, which I am cool with, I trust him to do us right. What I do know is that he can hustle and has a stellar reputation in this industry. General Motors Expedite Carrier of the Year, that is us.

When I know more I will fill you all in. ;-)
replyreply
(01-04-2019 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Waterloo, what u haul? What u wanna haul?

Automotive, one and two skids at a time, shorter the better. Toledo is too Far East, Bowling Green OH is too far South and Holland MI is too far West. ;-)

And I am not being a smart ass, that is what I do. I am hoping the new company will be just as good, if not better. The boss is saying much better, we shall see.
replyreply
(01-04-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(01-04-2019 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Waterloo, what u haul? What u wanna haul?

Automotive, one and two skids at a time, shorter the better. Toledo is too Far East, Bowling Green OH is too far South and Holland MI is too far West. ;-)

And I am not being a smart ass, that is what I do. I am hoping the new company will be just as good, if not better. The boss is saying much better, we shall see.
Cant blame a man for wanting to stay local. Im trying to put together a round trip close to home myself. Springfield, mo to sikeston, mo and back is looking like a decent daily run. Just gotta get the schedules worked out so its legal.
replyreply
01-05-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
(01-04-2019 )smorgan87 Wrote:  Cant blame a man for wanting to stay local. Im trying to put together a round trip close to home myself. Springfield, mo to sikeston, mo and back is looking like a decent daily run. Just gotta get the schedules worked out so its legal.

I hear you... I will not tell you what I just got off of... 430 miles all in... 6 hours a night... 10 minute load/unload times, 2,000 lbs... 5 nights... Nope, ain't saying a word. ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87
01-05-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
Wex, EFS, and Fleet One are all the same. I think WEX is the parent company.
replyreply
03-24-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
(01-04-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  I am going to get Nastc. How much are you saving off the cash at average?

FBK, did you end up with NASTIC since this post? If so, how are you liking it?
replyreply
03-24-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
I've been searching for a good fuel card to make sure I'm IFTA compliant. Currently, I'm a 1 truck O/O with a daily dedicated run though 3 gulf coast states. I use my Chase business card since it gives me 3% on all fuel purchased to 250k. Honestly, I really like this method since I use the reward points to pay for most of my vacation. I have a short WB Cascadia daycab so I can get into 'normal' fuel stations. A large chain in this area (RaceTrac) is usually 38-45 cents cheaper than the truck stops. Yes, it takes longer, but if I can save 40-50 bucks/fill-up, then it certainly justifies the extra time for me (plus like mentioned, the 3% and no fee). From what I see, NASTIC would be my best discount, but with the monthly and annual fee, I do not think it will beat what I have now. My concern with what I have now is IFTA compliant fuel receipts.

- IFTA guys....I have a question. My concern with using my business card is that it does not provide a way to enter the mileage and unit number of my rig directly on the receipt. Currently I just write that info on the receipt when I get fuel. According to the IFTA website, that info is required on the receipt but is unclear if it can be written in or not. I definitely don't want to get audited and have to pay more tax on fuel that I've already been taxed on! I spoke with an IFTA rep Friday morning and she did acknowledge my receipt concern with my current Chase card, but did confirm or deny if I could write in the missing info when I get fuel. She said "Ask the attendant to write it in for you." I seriously can't see why that would make it any better.....
replyreply
03-25-2019, (Subject: Good fuel card ) 
(03-24-2019 )SquareOne Wrote:  I've been searching for a good fuel card to make sure I'm IFTA compliant. Currently, I'm a 1 truck O/O with a daily dedicated run though 3 gulf coast states. I use my Chase business card since it gives me 3% on all fuel purchased to 250k. Honestly, I really like this method since I use the reward points to pay for most of my vacation. I have a short WB Cascadia daycab so I can get into 'normal' fuel stations. A large chain in this area (RaceTrac) is usually 38-45 cents cheaper than the truck stops. Yes, it takes longer, but if I can save 40-50 bucks/fill-up, then it certainly justifies the extra time for me (plus like mentioned, the 3% and no fee). From what I see, NASTIC would be my best discount, but with the monthly and annual fee, I do not think it will beat what I have now. My concern with what I have now is IFTA compliant fuel receipts.

- IFTA guys....I have a question. My concern with using my business card is that it does not provide a way to enter the mileage and unit number of my rig directly on the receipt. Currently I just write that info on the receipt when I get fuel. According to the IFTA website, that info is required on the receipt but is unclear if it can be written in or not. I definitely don't want to get audited and have to pay more tax on fuel that I've already been taxed on! I spoke with an IFTA rep Friday morning and she did acknowledge my receipt concern with my current Chase card, but did confirm or deny if I could write in the missing info when I get fuel. She said "Ask the attendant to write it in for you." I seriously can't see why that would make it any better.....

Fuel card, FlatBedKid was over at the house the other day, he has that NSATC card, I am getting one. Fuel was $3.15 at the TA up the street, his price was $2.63. My Speedway it was around $2.70 a gallon. Other's were even less.

IFTA... I use paper for everything, one truck, and no issues. Call me a dinosaur. Here is all you need for recording your miles. I use one sheet a week, it goes into a 6 x 9 manila envelope. On the front of the manila envelope I write down my loads, the pay, and my fuel purchases for the week, as well as putting the mileage and fuel on the trip sheet. Come tax time I have all of my info on the front of the envelopes and a hard copy of IFTA miles that is quick to calculate when it is time to file and for plates. It works. At the end of the year, do taxes, zip lock bag envelopes and store in plastic container with receipts.

Here is the sheet I use, the trick is to never have a break in your odometer, as you are only cheating yourself. Always roll over your mileage from the previous week. Feel free to download and use, one of the best IFTA sheets I have used.

.pdf  Trip sheet (dragged).pdf (Size: 282.34 KB / Downloads: 214)

.pdf  Trip sheet (dragged) 2.pdf (Size: 127.71 KB / Downloads: 235)

.pdf  Billing 10-27-18 (dragged).pdf (Size: 395.57 KB / Downloads: 219)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: SquareOne , DosGatos , Pd6cas2

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.