What engine lasts longer?
01-04-2019, (Subject: What engine lasts longer? ) 
What engine lasts longer?
A well tuned and maintained 2010 Isx or a tuned 2007 Detroit 60 series? I love my cummins but for some odd reason our engine has a bad reputation.
replyreply
01-04-2019, (Subject: What engine lasts longer? ) 
RE: What engine lasts longer?
ohhhhhhhh nooooo not down this rabbit hole.again.lol....

if you really wanna know or get an idea. just flip threw the pages.

you will find what your looking for eventually!

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , Waterloo
01-05-2019, (Subject: What engine lasts longer? ) 
Itd depend on what i was hauling. In the dry bulk industry pulling 100k+ lbs the 15L engines like a cat or isx are workhorses but otr a s60 is a long lasting somewhat inexpensive powerplant. I just dont like the way smaller engines like the s60 or dd13 pull. (In the case of the dd13, the way it doesnt pull). I personally like the cummins engines. my 871 was a workhorse even with 800k on it. This 2350 is yet to be seen. 450st, it guzzles fuel and def and is weak compared to the @m*m^2 871 at home. Hoping to tune it b4 too long and put a 13 behind it.
replyreply
All of these new motors suck. And the shops suck even worse. The days of those 1.5 million mile motors is LOOOOOONG GONE. Now, it is the day of the 1.5 million dollar basket case... ;-)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , snailexpress , Hammerhead , Mrkentee , imalumberjack
(01-04-2019 )AHMLLC Wrote:  A well tuned and maintained 2010 Isx or a tuned 2007 Detroit 60 series? I love my cummins but for some odd reason our engine has a bad reputation.

Well maintained, de-mandated, well tuned ISX has a huge profit margin over the S60 over its lifetime.

Turn the ISX down to run and have same response and hp curve as an S60 and it will out-last it every time. Things like the dulled out low-end response an S60 has, lower HP curve, good HP and pulling only in the higher rpm ranges, etc. - Problem is no one wants their ISX to run like an S60.

I.E. it is not the engine design that make it last longer,... it is the dulled low-end response, etc. compared to the ISX. This is even evident in comparing ISX to ISX. Between the CM 870 and the CM871, identical engines but the 870 has a dulled low-end due to the air operated turbo. - On average, the 870 is known to last an avg of 200k miles longer before inframe than the 871 for that reason alone.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: smorgan87 , Waterloo , Chamberpains
(01-05-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  All of these new motors suck. And the shops suck even worse. The days of those 1.5 million mile motors is LOOOOOONG GONE. Now, it is the day of the 1.5 million dollar basket case... ;-)

You got that right. No more looking for improvements, and wanting a new truck with such and such better engine.
replyreply
I would say an engine that has never been made yet! ;) but I got cummins 870 with 1230000miles on the clock and still running strong on a gallon or two of GEAR OIL in engine oil.(thanks to Rawze)
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Chamberpains
(01-05-2019 )DKenworth Wrote:  I would say an engine that has never been made yet! ;) but I got cummins 870 with 1230000miles on the clock and still running strong on a gallon or two of GEAR OIL in engine oil.(thanks to Rawze)

I like the 870, that was and is a simple motor. I think it was the best motor Cummins produced. The 871 is nice, but they gummed it up with to much technology due to emissions. I used to get close to 8mpg with mine all day long. I should have kept that truck.
replyreply
01-06-2019, (Subject: What engine lasts longer? ) 
(01-05-2019 )Mrkentee Wrote:  
(01-05-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  All of these new motors suck. And the shops suck even worse. The days of those 1.5 million mile motors is LOOOOOONG GONE. Now, it is the day of the 1.5 million dollar basket case... ;-)

You got that right. No more looking for improvements, and wanting a new truck with such and such better engine.

How much improvements are really out there? They are creating trucks that should be simple to repair due to the nature of our work, into a hot mess of crap that even the manufacturer cannot figure out. I guess if one is just a driver that cool technology stuff is great, but for an owner it can be the end of the business and or a financially ruinous event, not to mention the toll it takes on family and relationships.

They have taken a simple piece of equipment and turned it into a Frankenstein type monster that only a very few seem to have a handle on.

Put it this way, if not for Rawze and his need to understand the processes of these systems, emissions and motors, where would many of us be?

I do not know of anyone out there providing the service that Rawze has put on the table, essentially for free.

Me, literally, if not for Rawze, I would have been out of business a few years ago, and that is the honest to God truth. I miss my simplicity, and not having to worry if the motor will last another day or week. The days of a simple PM and walking around the truck with a few wrenches to snug things up is long gone. This web sight is a testament to that.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Nostalgic , Hammerhead , Chamberpains

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.