2011 dd15 black overflow tank
01-05-2019, (Subject: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank ) 
2011 dd15 black overflow tank
I have a 2011 Cascadia with a dd15, driver has to add a gal of antifreeze every 4-4500miles. When it started I assumed it was my egr cooler as it's went out before.

Truck runs fine, doesn't over heat. I dropped the pan to change the oil plug incert and there was no evidence or water in the oil. I can't say if it using oil as the incert would drip out about a half gal a week. Normally it doesn't use oil really.

I pressure tested the coolant system with pan off and didn't see any coolant. It held pressure well for a about 30min or so as I removed it. I can't tell if the loss of coolant was because of a loose clamp as I tightened all the hoses.

Today I took off the mixer pipe and the elbow that goes from the egr valve to the cooler and didn't see any evidence of coolant burning.

The truck starts super easy. Normal oil pressure. It's not building excess pressure in the coolant system

When you take cap off overflow it looks more like soot than oil and its sticking to the tank. It's not milky just dirty black whatever. You see some floating on top of the antifreeze but I can't tell if it's oil, diesel or what because it's so thin. Looks almost rainbow like swirl with a black outline.

Also I checked the trans cooler and there is no antifreeze in it.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Serega
01-06-2019, (Subject: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank ) 
RE: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank
Probably the oil cooler. They are known to have o-rings that get brittle. The oil can get into the antifreeze or vice versa.
Not an expensive repair, truck would be down for a day to fix.
replyreply
(01-06-2019 )uncleal13 Wrote:  Probably the oil cooler. They are known to have o-rings that get brittle. The oil can get into the antifreeze or vice versa.
Not an expensive repair, truck would be down for a day to fix.
If u not sure dont reply . Caus this guy will start tearing shi#t apart that dont need to be apart
replyreply
(01-05-2019 )race7820000 Wrote:  I have a 2011 Cascadia with a dd15, driver has to add a gal of antifreeze every 4-4500miles. When it started I assumed it was my egr cooler as it's went out before.

Truck runs fine, doesn't over heat. I dropped the pan to change the oil plug incert and there was no evidence or water in the oil. I can't say if it using oil as the incert would drip out about a half gal a week. Normally it doesn't use oil really.

I pressure tested the coolant system with pan off and didn't see any coolant. It held pressure well for a about 30min or so as I removed it. I can't tell if the loss of coolant was because of a loose clamp as I tightened all the hoses.

Today I took off the mixer pipe and the elbow that goes from the egr valve to the cooler and didn't see any evidence of coolant burning.

The truck starts super easy. Normal oil pressure. It's not building excess pressure in the coolant system

When you take cap off overflow it looks more like soot than oil and its sticking to the tank. It's not milky just dirty black whatever. You see some floating on top of the antifreeze but I can't tell if it's oil, diesel or what because it's so thin. Looks almost rainbow like swirl with a black outline.

Also I checked the trans cooler and there is no antifreeze in it.
look like fuel in overflow, if it is u need to change injector cups O rings
replyreply
01-07-2019, (Subject: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank ) 
(01-06-2019 )Serega Wrote:  If your not sure, don’t reply.

I just had fuel in the coolant reservoir, look it up, I posted it on here. Under sludge in my coolant resevoir, DD16.
It didn’t look grey / black. It was separated and clearly floating with the fuel on top.
replyreply
01-12-2019, (Subject: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank ) 
So I pulled coolant filter and saw this. As per Detroit I threw it away, they say to remove and not run one, It was 6 months old. It was Coming apart.

Not using any coolant anymore. I'm assuming one of the clamps I tightened was leaking or it was a cold leak.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: uncleal13 , BreakOnThrough
(01-12-2019 )race7820000 Wrote:  So I pulled coolant filter and saw this. As per Detroit I threw it away, they say to remove and not run one, It was 6 months old. It was Coming apart.

Not using any coolant anymore. I'm assuming one of the clamps I tightened was leaking or it was a cold leak.

Holy Sh1t!!! At first glance I thought it was your oil filter (thinking that it was an open style filter) I then strarted reading your post. Seems strange that Detroit says not too run one at all?

User's Signature: Born and raised in Vyskonsin on milk, cheese, bread, and beer!
replyreply
I can't find the actual bulliltion again but here is a copy and paste

The coolant filter has been removed from DD platform engines. The change comes with an improved Oil Cooler Module which resides on the front, left-hand side of the engine and houses the coolant pump, thermostat, oil fill, and oil filter. On engines built prior to this change, the coolant filter access cap was located just forward of the oil filter.
The current coolant filter is only partial flow (~15%). Testing showed that coolant and engine protection were not affected by the removal of the coolant filter. Customers will also benefit from reduced maintenance costs by eliminating the coolant filter inspection/replacement cycle.
The new Oil/Coolant Module is NOT backwards compatible on older engines. However, customers may choose to remove the coolant filter on their current engines at the next applicable Preventative Maintenance stop.
The new Oil/Coolant Module became effective with the following approximate change points.
• DD15AT engine s/n 472906S0326388 built on 23-Mar-15.
• DD13 engine s/n 471927S0326736 built on 17-Mar-15.
• DD15TC engine s/n 472909S0327137 built on 17-Mar-15.
• DD16 engine s/n 473908S0327187 built on 19-Mar-15.
Please note that the new oil fill is now connected at the bottom by a flexible tube, which increases the restriction when the engine is filled with oil. Shops using an automatic oil filling machine may need to adjust their flow rate to avoid spills
replyreply
07-22-2019, (Subject: 2011 dd15 black overflow tank ) 
I know this us a old thread but wasent losing coolant after I took out filter and changing clamps but the tank got darker and darker.

It ended up being the hose from egr cooler to tank. I put a 3/8 hose on there when I changed the cooler a year ago and it was for fuel and the antifreeze ate the inside. It was so bad when I took hose off it was hard as a rock and when i cut it open to look inside hose you could see the webbing of the hose itself. I got a new tank and she has been clean ever since. I used silicone hose this time though

So definitely check hoses lol its always something so simple.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Chamberpains , Rawze , uncleal13

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.