Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual
01-06-2019, (Subject: Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual ) 
Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual
For my cm 2250, I would like to have a manual transmission later on as my clutch wears on. How much would that cost me? Is it a pita, adding the clutch pedal. Has anyone done it before? I know I would need help to do that with all the heavy lifting and crawling around.
Just like to have it done as an improvement later on. So not now but in the future, depending if I keep this truck and keep rebuilding it again. Freightliner Cascadia.
replyreply
RE: Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual
im sure this would be similar to a auto to manual swap in a f250-f350 which ive done a few of.

You would need a clutch pedal and linkage from a manual cascadia, most autos are technically a manual transmission with air actuated clutch and shifting system so if you didnt want to go straight into a new transmission you might be able to start by converting your auto to manual.

if the transmission is convertible i know some are. start with bell housings if they are different but you might be able to swap housings, and put in the manual parts for the clutch and then replace the air actuated shift system with a manual top housing

one thing about it though detroits DD12 or whatever its called is a decent transmission especially for fuel mileage.

don't get me wrong i love my 13sp but after driving an automatic prostar when i worked for MCT when it comes to being in cities like LA/Chicago/Minneapolis and other such crappy traffic areas i would probably love to still have an auto in those situations. plus for the the most part an automated transmission usually shifts at the right time every time when its taken care of.
replyreply
I done that on my 05 Volvo. My friend was parting out his Volvo. I took transmission, flywheel, driveshaft, shifter and clutch pedal. Rebuild transmission,new clutch, excange flywheel.
I did rest off work myself (Not a big deal).
Not sure for Freightliner.
Volvo needs programming for chassis ecm. Also I run wire's from starter selenoid (firewall)To cab switch.
Didn't bypass neutral switch wire's.

User's Signature: One word not enough two words to much to say
replyreply
Funny ....I have always wanted to try an automatic ...:-) When I was first taught to drive log truck I was told a clutch is to take off and stop ..that's it ..I would get yelled at if my left foot headed toward it, right or wrong I still drive that way today ...sometimes on a steep down hill I will use the clutch to relieve the pressure for an upshift. Personally I hate clutches .....but then I'm lazy.
I would think that you would just want to start picking up all the items from same truck? and when your ready swap them in your half way there. Take a look at same model with then look at yours? mounting brackets or mounting holes in right spot? Trucks are pretty awesome for being able to change around.
replyreply
01-08-2019, (Subject: Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual ) 
i beleive their are some actual automatics with torque converters for semis from what ive heard their nothing but money pits and absolutely garbage but the AUTOMATED transmissions that ive drove are all manuals with computer controlled clutch and shift solenoids. so basically a manual that the computer does all the thinking and work to get moving.

and as you said lumber clutch to stop/start thats it. thats all i use mine for rest is all "power/float" shifting. its so gut wrenching when you hear someone trying to double clutch a truck since thats what they teach in the few schools that actualy train in manuals when float shifting i would think be easiest on parts when done correctly. when i went through MCTs school they had 9 speed freightliner flds and omg some of the people in class i dont know how those trucks didnt leave transmission parts all over the roads. i didnt get much driving time in that class as the only thing i had trouble with and still to this day have bad days with was dock backing from a 90/45 angle. i was doing real good with vans and moveable axles now i got a spread axle flatbed and some days i cant hit the broadside of a barn.
replyreply
01-09-2019, (Subject: Cost for putting switching auto Transmission to manual ) 
I may be wrong but i think eaton says it is best to double clutch. Me, I would do a little of both, but mostly float, idk, all that clutch pedal etc kinda tiring. And if you do a wrong double clutch it will jerk the truck a little bit so I would say for me to float it and feel the gear go in and don't force it in even if you are frustrated, just like dancing with a lady, nice n easy. But yea, is it convertable to a manual? the 10 speed smart shift?
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  I may be wrong but i think eaton says it is best to double clutch. Me, I would do a little of both, but mostly float, idk, all that clutch pedal etc kinda tiring. And if you do a wrong double clutch it will jerk the truck a little bit so I would say for me to float it and feel the gear go in and don't force it in even if you are frustrated, just like dancing with a lady, nice n easy. But yea, is it convertable to a manual? the 10 speed smart shift?

Only time I use my clutch is when I am stopped and need to get it into a gear to get going again.

They also say its bad to run them out of gear, yet I have 1.2 million on my tranny and for its entire life, it has been out of gear as much as humanly possible going down the highway.
http://rawze.com/forums/showthread.php?t...8#pid12058

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: flatbed94kid , Hammerhead
Just curious, anybody coast with an automatic?
I have a few times to see what would happen. I just think about my xy shifter, if I keep
moving it all the time back and forth is the thing gonna wear out. But I do see you save
some fuel, idk really how much fuel you save from coasting.
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )flatbed94kid Wrote:  Just curious, anybody coast with an automatic?
I have a few times to see what would happen. I just think about my xy shifter, if I keep
moving it all the time back and forth is the thing gonna wear out. But I do see you save
some fuel, idk really how much fuel you save from coasting.

I coast when ever i can, small hills, big hills, no hills.... if you do this long enough and get good at it. you can save a reasonable amount that makes it worth justifying going that extra mile.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.