Proper RPM for PTO operation
01-07-2019, (Subject: Proper RPM for PTO operation ) 
Proper RPM for PTO operation
I haul propane and have to pump off 1 to 2 times a day and it takes about an hour. I have a valve on trailer that I can control how fast the pump runs but my problem is if I idle it up to a 1000 RPM I can’t open up the valve very far because the pump on the trailer can only run so fast which heats my hydraulic fluid up pretty high even with a hydro pack to help cool the oil. If I idle around 700 I can open valve all the way up and it keeps my fluid cooler. Kind of a catch 22.

So is it better to run PTO at 1000 RPM for the emissions or does 700 for an hour really make any difference?

It’s a 2013 2350
replyreply
RE: Proper RPM for PTO operation
(01-07-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I haul propane and have to pump off 1 to 2 times a day and it takes about an hour. I have a valve on trailer that I can control how fast the pump runs but my problem is if I idle it up to a 1000 RPM I can’t open up the valve very far because the pump on the trailer can only run so fast which heats my hydraulic fluid up pretty high even with a hydro pack to help cool the oil. If I idle around 700 I can open valve all the way up and it keeps my fluid cooler. Kind of a catch 22.

So is it better to run PTO at 1000 RPM for the emissions or does 700 for an hour really make any difference?

It’s a 2013 2350
Higher RPM is better for emission but you can't apply ir all the time you unload.
I assume you have to deliver to different customers so every place have different setup.
Some have pipes big in diameter and short but some are small and long with billions of elbows.
liquid line restriction is the key factor in unloading. If pump is pumping more GPM then liquid line can get thru you have a heat. If less you are wasting time.
With Insite you can set PTO RPM increments for every switch bump like 50 RPM until it reaches max .
replyreply
Hydraulic heat is bad, can you check temp? There are a couple ways you can deal with this. Re gear pto? on the older models it was just swapping two gears.
Remember its cold out now so consider replacing hydraulic oil with a lighter weight, maybe 32? Tractor hydraulic is multi viscosity. Also look at your setup .... follow the hydraulic lines from the pump all the way through the circuit looking for small fittings (sometimes people repair with what they have and might hinder flow) excessive amount of 90 degree fittings. there is probably not much you can do on the unloading side.
If this is what your primary work will be? I would regear pto to allow truck to run at higher rpm keeping pump at same.
replyreply
(01-07-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I haul propane and have to pump off 1 to 2 times a day and it takes about an hour. I have a valve on trailer that I can control how fast the pump runs but my problem is if I idle it up to a 1000 RPM I can’t open up the valve very far because the pump on the trailer can only run so fast which heats my hydraulic fluid up pretty high even with a hydro pack to help cool the oil. If I idle around 700 I can open valve all the way up and it keeps my fluid cooler. Kind of a catch 22.

It’s a 2013 2350

re-gear it so you can get above 1000 with it. Engine will last much longer.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
Unfortunately my pump isn’t adjustable so looks like I got a weekend project this weekend. Bad thing is how much to slower PTO to get? Every place I go needs different pressures.
replyreply
(01-07-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  Unfortunately my pump isn’t adjustable so looks like I got a weekend project this weekend. Bad thing is how much to slower PTO to get? Every place I go needs different pressures.
do you know how hot its getting?
replyreply
I would say around 150 at 1000 RPM. At 700 RPM the lines are just barely warm. Of course a lot depends on where I’m pumping off at but when I’m pumping off butane it’s a little hotter because I don’t have any pressure to help unload
replyreply
01-08-2019, (Subject: Proper RPM for PTO operation ) 
I would say reduce it by 25%, that would give you 1000 instead of 750 and 1250 instead of 1000 . It's been awhile since I played with wet kits but if I remember right they were 1-.75,1-1and 1-1.25.that was on the end dumps though.
That's just what I would do....

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
01-08-2019, (Subject: Proper RPM for PTO operation ) 
(01-07-2019 )NoTime Wrote:  I would say around 150 at 1000 RPM. At 700 RPM the lines are just barely warm. Of course a lot depends on where I’m pumping off at but when I’m pumping off butane it’s a little hotter because I don’t have any pressure to help unload
Pick up a handheld laser temp gauge (they are cheap) check in several areas while your pumping. 150 degrees is fine even up to 170 degrees above that I would be worried, and I am only speaking from a hydraulic system understanding as I don't know if the heat transfers to the product? don't want you to blow up :-(
If you can off load at 1000 rpm's and hydraulic system is within acceptable perimeter then maybe your ok?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.