Looking to buy used truck
01-10-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
RE: Looking to buy used truck
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  ARB caught me in thousand oaks scale. Got a $1000 fine. Its a crap shot, most of the time ARB isn't in the scales but when they are be careful!

Does the 2350 have the "new" piston rings in them?
Also does the 2350 have more sensors?
I read somewhere the 2350 has the ammonia sensors.
What did you get caught for?
A newer truck that had been de-mandated or a pre-emission older truck ?

Thanks
T700
replyreply
01-10-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
Pre emmision engine. 2006 cat c15 acert 900,000 mi bought at 600,000. No problems at all. Did over head, ac comp, and air compressor. Nothing on the physical cat has gone bad. Its a tank.

Thanks
T700
[/quote]
replyreply
01-11-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
(01-10-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  Pre emmision engine. 2006 cat c15 acert 900,000 mi bought at 600,000. No problems at all. Did over head, ac comp, and air compressor. Nothing on the physical cat has gone bad. Its a tank.

Thanks
T700
[/quote]
you can add a dpf to current truck? They are pricey and only buy you 3? years
replyreply
02-02-2019, (Subject: Looking to buy used truck ) 
Truck shopping.
2007 Volvo 670 just over a million miles. Dyno tested 40k miles ago, 1.8 blow by. . . so very low? Auto Shift trans, volvo engine. Current 2 truck owner bought for a relative to drive, put $14k in it to make it Level1 ready (passed New Mexico Level 1 a month ago), and family bailed out. Price? $25,000. Owner is clearly perfectionist, but still - million mile truck. Has intermittent transmission dummy light. Taking to mechanic for full inspection Monday, maybe even removing valve cover for inspection of cams. Seller not happy about this as he said he had valves adjusted 40k miles ago and 'it's all fine' but doesn't have pics. Does have receipt for work and dyno. Says dummy light on transmission is for low voltage on a sensor, but I am concerned that engine computer (new) might de-rate engine power just because transmission light on. Always nervous about someone who wants to grab your money and hesitant to have a thorough inspection paid for by someone else. Will need king pins, tie rod ends, and spring mount bushings in next 25,000 miles my guess (air bag front end).

Also went to Arrow Truck sales today. All trucks 500-600k miles for 70-90 thousand dollars, unless it's a MaxxForce and then $45,000 or so. They don't take oil samples for analysis unless you catch it being traded in before the PM and cleanup and then it's on your for cost (Blackstone Labs of Fort Wayne Indiana is my preferred lab).

Nearly everyone says "just buy new" but my absolute limit is $50k and that has to include everything to present to company where I will lease on. (They do own inspections and have high standards). They suggested buying a '13 or newer, or older is ok in VERY GOOD condition.

Please let me know thoughts - Thanks!

P.S. Rawze has tremendous videos and has prevented me from buying a couple of lemons already.
replyreply
Are you paying cash and have $50K or is that how much the bank approved you for?

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
(01-09-2019 )MCRENT Wrote:  
(01-09-2019 )revlimited Wrote:  Do you recommend buying a 2012 volvo with cummins 2250 for 42k with 500k miles and throwing a new high pressure pump on it, or buying a 2014 volvo with cummins 2350 for 50k with 500k miles and driving it as is?

If you pickup/deliver to any ports in California you might check the regulations. I have heard about them increasing the engine year to get into the ports to 2013 engine year. You might inquire before you buy anything. The 2013 engine year will get you to at least 2024 with the CARB rules as of now. Who knows what the idiots will do next especially with our new Governor.
I stand corrected on this ....went to registrar truck last night with CARB and it said " 2014 or newer if you are going into a marine port" that's for new registrations. You have to register the truck (along with all the normal places) to enter a rail yard or port in California and they will only take registrations from 2014 and newer effective Oct. 1st 2018 to enter marine port, current CARB registered trucks are okay. I registered for drayage so I was good. Its getting tougher on the independent ..big companies can run out and buy 50 new trucks the little guy can't.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.