Front end parts, ProStar, swamping axles and springs
01-12-2019, (Subject: Front end parts, ProStar, swamping axles and springs ) 
Front end parts, ProStar, swamping axles and springs
2008 ProStar, nearing one million miles. It is getting time to do the king pins and all of that fun stuff up front. Everything is fine up there right now, just trying to stay ahead of the game. Here is my question... Have any of you swapped out your 12,000 lb axle and springs for the beefier 14,000 lb axle and springs? I have some guesstimates on the parts, and it is very reasonable. The hubs are my concern, but I am assuming the hubs I currently have will work with the 14,000 lb axle? That is the question. Any of you have experience with this?

Also, if any of you have a ProStar running a 14,000 lb axle, could you PM me the last 8 of your vin so I could do a proper parts breakdown?

Why upgrade the axle? Well, I have been wanting to do that since I have bought the truck. It is always heavy up there, with forward tanks and all of the crap on my truck, steerable lift axle, APU, wet kit and now the Moose Slayer Bumper. She is weighing in at 12,300 up front bobtail, and I do run a 16 ply Michelin tire up there, just for that fact. But, the front end has always hovered around 12,000 without the bumper. The reason I have always wanted to move to a heavier axle. Now I really want to, LOL!

For the life of me, I cannot understand why this truck was ordered with a 12,000 lb axle. Any of these SBA tractors for that matter. My Volvo was the same way, 12,000+ on the steers no matter what I was hauling. And no way to adjust it out with the fifth wheel or trailer. I guess the reason the previous owner installed a lift axle on my current tractor. It is a necessity with this set up and I do use it.
replyreply
RE: Front end parts, ProStar, swamping axles and springs
My understanding is ...
The most important part to beef up is the spindle and hubs ( bearings ) .
To my knowledge they only build 3 different Axel's the rest is in the springs and hubs to get the other ratings .
Please correct me if I am wrong .
I know at home alot of guys just put the wide tires up front to fake the dot for the extra weight . I know the bearings take a shi#t kicking.
I know your not planning on running wider steers . Just come to mind I geuss .

User's Signature: The missing link
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Right now, my thinking is that the steer axle weight will stay below 13,000 lbs., and not wanting to play fool the DOT. More of a safety issue, the springs do have a million miles on them, and they are a wear item. It needs to be beefed up, at least in my mind.

The dealership did not know either, regarding the hubs, they were guessing as well in regards to the hubs until they could get a vin from a truck with a 14,000 lb axle to cross reference parts. Hit the truck paper and see if any ProStars are out there with a 14,000 lb axle setup with the last eight of the vin.
replyreply
I think the "heavy" axle from int is 12350. Do you just want a heavier axle for yourself or do you want it on your cab card?

User's Signature: 2011 Prostar Cummins 871
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
Make sure you carry certification on the upgraded axle. I have had the DOT stop me and walk out to look at my axle rating ON THE DOOR TAG. Don't know how you'd convince one that the trucks spec tag is wrong now.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , LargeCar
(01-12-2019 )DosGatos Wrote:  I think the "heavy" axle from int is 12350. Do you just want a heavier axle for yourself or do you want it on your cab card?

It depends on which axle you have. The Meritor is rated at 12,000 and 14,000, I have the Meritor one piece. The Hendrickson is rated at 12,350 and 13,350 or 13,500, and is a "fabricated" axle. My concern is using the hubs I currently have, on the 14,000 lb axle. As far as why I want the heavier axle, mainly safety, with the heavier springs and such. Roads are crap up here in Michigan, and it has been a want of mine since purchasing this truck. It should have came with the 14,000 lb axle from the factory in my book. And if it is an easy swap, when I do the front end work I'll just have it installed and call it a day.

The cab card/door sticker was going to be my question after figuring out what will and or will not work. I would like to get this certified that there is a 14,000 lb axle up there. I am sure there is a way to do that. Although, I have never had issues with (DOT) any of the SBA truck I have owned, all of which had a 12,000 lb axle, and all have run heavy, usually approaching 13,000 lbs, sometimes over. If I was ever to buy a new truck, it would have have, or be spec'd with a 14,000+ lb axle.
replyreply
03-03-2019, (Subject: Front end parts, ProStar, swamping axles and springs ) 
I will ask my neighbor, he works at a large savage yard here Atlanta what the difference are. You want to change the Meritor 12000 to the Meritor 14000 or are you looking to go the Hendrickson 14000?
replyreply
Meritor 12,000 lb to 14,000 lb. Axle and springs
replyreply
Ill Talk to him today, and maybe have an answer for you tomorrow.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.