Fuel wator separator filter???
01-15-2019, (Subject: Fuel wator separator filter??? ) 
Fuel wator separator filter???
05 CM870 with a davco 382 fuel water separator. wondering what micron i need to use for it... cant find anything on quickserve.

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
RE: Fuel wator separator filter???
so On davcos webste it says i should use a 50 micron filter.... i was told by cummins to use a 10 micro filter... shi#t....

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
I use 10, I think most guys do.

User's Signature: im_seeing_parameters_in_my_sleep 1
replyreply
The smaller the micron the better protection but for the extra protection you sacrifice filter life because it traps more.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Hammerhead
(01-15-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  The smaller the micron the better protection but for the extra protection you sacrifice filter life because it traps more.

Yes it does, but just smile and change it when it's due.
You smile, cause the filter cost is 1/10th the damage cost debris will do to the fuel system.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
(01-15-2019 )Hammerhead Wrote:  
(01-15-2019 )Nilao Wrote:  The smaller the micron the better protection but for the extra protection you sacrifice filter life because it traps more.

Yes it does, but just smile and change it when it's due.
You smile, cause the filter cost is 1/10th the damage cost debris will do to the fuel system.

I agree. I have always used a 10 or 7 micron filter in my davco. - My injectors lasted more than a million miles before replacement. The other fuel components, including the timing and metering actuators, valves, solenoids, pump, etc. also now have 1.2 million miles on them and are still going strong. I tend to think that this positive outcome is heavily due to always using fine filtration for the fuel system instead of some coarse 50-micron crap that will hardly trap sand, nonetheless any abrasive fuel contaminants.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Toolguy
I use a 10 micron filter on my 870. The filter plugs pretty often (7k-8k miles) so I keep two or three spare ones in the truck.

I used to change it when it would get to the change line on the the top of the Davco clear filter housing (every 5k or so) but lately I noticed the check engine light for a plugged fuel filter will come on long before a shutdown or stutter problem occurs so I run it clear until the light comes on then I change it ASAP and that gives me a little extra life out of the filter. I'm currently monitoring to see if I'm losing anything doing it this way. So far no adverse effects that I've noticed have happened.
replyreply
Oh, I'll have to add that using high concentrations of biodiesel will also run you through a filter ultra-fast. Sometimes under a thousand miles.

This was kind of disappointing to me because I had a documented slight MPG gain from using biodiesel before I changed from a 50 micron filter to a 10 micron. Oh well, I'd sooner save the fuel system then save money on fuel.
replyreply
this is probably due to what they call free fatty acids or liquified fat its prevelent in biodiesel and is the reason it gels faster then normal diesel. if you goto an ethanol plant that extracts corn oil you can see it. coming off the tricanters at 180 degrees its a nice clearish tan oil as it cools it becomes cloudy and thicker.
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.