Fuel wator separator filter???
01-16-2019, (Subject: Fuel wator separator filter??? ) 
RE: Fuel wator separator filter???
My Prostar doesn't have the clear glass bowl filter only the cartridge spin-on kind. I've never noticed if the spin-on have the micron measurement. Does anyone know which brand filter offers the best filtration? I do not use bio diesel at all.
replyreply
Hey guys, so some wise guy tells me a 10 micron filter makes the lift pump work harder and it makes it prematurely fails or breaks?

Now who here can tell me if this guy is full of shi#t? lol

i thought if the micron lvl 50 it would be better? guess NOT!.

also since were on the topic on fuel, what kind of bio diesel should you stay away from? and you can use?

Which truck stop has the best fuel? opinions are welcome! also facts would be preferred! LOL! :D

User's Signature: The creator said " Help your self and I will help you; Protect your self and I will protect you "
replyreply
(01-16-2019 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  My Prostar doesn't have the clear glass bowl filter only the cartridge spin-on kind. I've never noticed if the spin-on have the micron measurement. Does anyone know which brand filter offers the best filtration? I do not use bio diesel at all.

First off, no clue what a spin on fuel filter cartridge is, if not a Davco. Are you talking about the regular metal body fuel filter on the side of the motor? You have a photo if not either a Davco or regular filter? I would like to see one, as I am not familiar with anything else on the ProStar.

As far as filters, I would stick with Fleetguard, which is a Cummins owned company. That is all I will use.
replyreply
(01-16-2019 )Evotrucker Wrote:  Hey guys, so some wise guy tells me a 10 micron filter makes the lift pump work harder and it makes it prematurely fails or breaks?

Now who here can tell me if this guy is full of shi#t? lol

i thought if the micron lvl 50 it would be better? guess NOT!.

also since were on the topic on fuel, what kind of bio diesel should you stay away from? and you can use?

Which truck stop has the best fuel? opinions are welcome! also facts would be preferred! LOL! :D

Sounds more like you been hanging out on the narcistic social medai horses$it sites to me. Places like facef$uck, and snatchChap, TTR, etc.

My lift pump has 1.3 million on it, always used 10 or 7 micron filters. I know of about 20 other people doing the same thing and have probably as many miles on theirs ... I'll take the cleaner fuel + cleaner fuel system and less deposits on the injectors, solenoids, etc.etc.etc. over some micro differences in amp draw of the coils of the lift motor. -- How about telling those morons to measure the motor current differences, then go look up the load specs of the pump before making such statements next time.

maybe its the beer talking tonite... lol

Here is my semi-drunken state narcistic reply for idiots like this --> If someone is that damn paranoid about crap like that, tell em to pull the damn fuse for the lift pump and only install/make use of it during a fuel filter change, so that it can last forever,.. as it is only ever needed when you change the fuel filter any ways. -- ERR wait ,... No,,,.. It might rust or sieze up for lack of use,.. --- ar wait,.. maybe you will wear out the fuse holder... -- ... ...

point is ... either people say stuff like that on social medai to troll you ,.. or ... they are way-over thinking things sometimes. its one thing to ask a question about it working harder, not an illegitimate question ...> but it is totally another to make such BS claims that have no basis.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Fixmytruck123 , Hammerhead , Toolguy
(01-16-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  My Prostar doesn't have the clear glass bowl filter only the cartridge spin-on kind. I've never noticed if the spin-on have the micron measurement. Does anyone know which brand filter offers the best filtration? I do not use bio diesel at all.

First off, no clue what a spin on fuel filter cartridge is, if not a Davco. Are you talking about the regular metal body fuel filter on the side of the motor? You have a photo if not either a Davco or regular filter? I would like to see one, as I am not familiar with anything else on the ProStar.

As far as filters, I would stick with Fleetguard, which is a Cummins owned company. That is all I will use.

Sure. Hopefully I attached pictures properly. These are the 2 "spin-on" fuel filters I have. Maybe shouldn't have called them cartridge. Not sure why there are 2 but I replace them every 2 oil changes.

Attached File(s)Thumbnail(s)

replyreply
 Thanks given by: Rawze , Waterloo
01-17-2019, (Subject: Fuel wator separator filter??? ) 
some older cm871s had spin ons a 2008 9900I i was looking at before my lonestar had one.. i prefer the davco for visible inspection of plugging tho and would have installed one. as far as fuel just go where they sell alot of it if you goto a place that hasn't had to refill its tanks in months it can get water saturated. as far as biofuel its basically by state Minnesota is 20% in summer and i believe 5% in winter.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
(01-16-2019 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 )Waterloo Wrote:  

Thanks for the photo

Sure. Hopefully I attached pictures properly. These are the 2 "spin-on" fuel filters I have. Maybe shouldn't have called them cartridge. Not sure why there are 2 but I replace them every 2 oil changes.

Thanks for the photo. Me, I would throw on a Davco unit, in place of the spin on you currently have, only because these new motors are so finicky. I like being able to see what is going into the engine, and the ability to drain the water off when I need to, as I have a visual means to do just that, especially in the winter. And it is right there, no digging into the side of the motor where the big fuel filter is, the one without the water drain. Davco units are all over the internet, around $250 +/-, shop around if you do get one, as there is not much to them, so no need to pay top dollar. Even a nice used unit from the junk yard would work.

As far as how often to change that little filter you currently run, I change the Davco every oil change, along with the primary fuel filter. If I get water in the fuel, and the Davco is working, sometimes that filter gets changed between oil changes. Sometimes it has been multiple times, as I can visually see what is going on. That is just me, but that Davco unit can really save the day when bad fuel is involved.

The Davco on my ProStar is mounted in the same location as your little spin on... A Davco unit should bolt right up.
replyreply
(01-16-2019 )CFR__AND_SONS Wrote:  Sure. Hopefully I attached pictures properly. These are the 2 "spin-on" fuel filters I have. Maybe shouldn't have called them cartridge. Not sure why there are 2 but I replace them every 2 oil changes.

These are what you're wanting...

./uploads/201901/post_2077_1547774892_4cf7d44186d1384f682fdca7bc223060.png

They are a 5 micron rating, water separator.
This is all I've used in over 800k miles.
Replace it every oil change!
It's 5 micron, if our don't you will probably get CEL's for Fuel Filter Restriction.

Here is where I order them from by the case of 12.

User's Signature: Why? Why do I always ask "why?" Because I can't learn or help teach others with "'cause I said so..."
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo , Volvo8873 , Rawze , ZeroNthedark , rrod
01-19-2019, (Subject: Fuel wator separator filter??? ) 
Anyone knows where to buy a cheaper filter for a Davco 483 fleetguard FS19915(Baldwin PF9804) ? I checked that site but they don’t have it.

User's Signature: I Need to start asking my stupid questions
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.