Check engine light
01-20-2019, (Subject: Check engine light ) 
RE: Check engine light
(01-20-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  UPDATE!

Well I finally tore into it... only took me about a hour to get it off ( its 10 degrees and im using a space heater and im taking my time) but its off. I found that the plungers are STEEL! and the cam is OK! everything looks clean and as it should. So it looks like ill be making a trip to Cummins tomorrow and buying me some new parts or just buy a new head gasket and put it back together? Im thinking all new new parts. Oh and In the process of pulling the head I was loosening the 2 bolds to give me some wiggle room on the high pressure line and there is a tube (like airline) coming off the bottom of the box above the fuel pump, anyone know that it is? like I said its cold and brittle and when the bolt broke free it snapped the line in half.... can I just buy a union or is it very important? how bad did I screw myself?
if it has steel plungers I might leave it? Also I have reassembled with old gasket there is no pressure there. The line? it looks like air line? maybe it purges your doser valve? Mine leaked in same area and it thru a code, I just replaced the fitting .....so I would think you could just use a repair splice.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: triumph166
(01-20-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  

Well I finally tore into it... only took me about a hour to get it off ( its 10 degrees and im using a space heater and im taking my time) but its off. I found that the plungers are STEEL! and the cam is OK! everything looks clean and as it should. So it looks like ill be making a trip to Cummins tomorrow and buying me some new parts or just buy a new head gasket and put it back together? Im thinking all new new parts. Oh and In the process of pulling the head I was loosening the 2 bolds to give me some wiggle room on the high pressure line and there is a tube (like airline) coming off the bottom of the box above the fuel pump, anyone know that it is? like I said its cold and brittle and when the bolt broke free it snapped the line in half.... can I just buy a union or is it very important? how bad did I screw myself?
if it has steel plungers I might leave it? Also I have reassembled with old gasket there is no pressure there. The line? it looks like air line? maybe it purges your doser valve? Mine leaked in same area and it thru a code, I just replaced the fitting .....so I would think you could just use a repair splice.

Ok yeah I may just put it back together then. I’m unfamiliar with the doser valve but I did trace the tube/airline and it looks like it just goes into my oil pan. Also what banjo bolt has the screen in it? I looked and didn’t see a screen in any of them.. maybe I overlooked it? I’ll look better tomorrow, I got cold haha.
replyreply
a banjo bolt with a screen is probably an update to try and keep the fuel pump from destroying the engine if the fuel pump pukes any large chunks of itself. your pump maybe has been rebuilt or came that way but the banjo bolt if its an update was not put in.
replyreply
01-21-2019, (Subject: Check engine light ) 
Steel or otherwise ... Replace the guts while your in there. there is updates to the new rollers etc.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
(01-20-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  
(01-20-2019 )imalumberjack Wrote:  

There are two banjo fittings one is inlet (line comes from other side of pump and that's the low pressure side) other is return that is reintroduced to fuel. The filter is inside the inlet side just look in the hole of bolt ....DO NOT TRY TO REMOVE! clean from inside (like the bottom of bolt? not so much sides? that is reverse of flow). Rawze is probably right on updating? it may have already been done?

Ok yeah I may just put it back together then. I’m unfamiliar with the doser valve but I did trace the tube/airline and it looks like it just goes into my oil pan. Also what banjo bolt has the screen in it? I looked and didn’t see a screen in any of them.. maybe I overlooked it? I’ll look better tomorrow, I got cold haha.
replyreply
UPDATE:

Well I went this morning and got all the parts to rebuild the fuel pump, when I called Cummins the guy knew just what I was after and was very easy to work with... Got to Cummins and all my parts was waiting in a box with my name on it and I looked them over but didn't check the part numbers, I assumed the guy was so confident and knew just what I needed that I wouldn't question him. I also got a new crankcase breather "lubricating oil drain tube" that I had broke in the process ($39.14) mine was very very brittle (maybe since its only 5 degrees here). I got home and started to put in the new plunger and barrel..... yep WRONG ONES! so I had to go aaalll the way back to Cummins 45 min drive. sure enough they didn't know how that happened so I as im waiting I turned to the service counter guy and saw a sign saying labor rate on trucks $149 a hour. I ask if the had time to torque the barrels on and he said yep if you have the head bring it in, I said how much are you going to charge me? he said not a thing. I know it didn't take them long to do but at least they was nice enough to do that for me.. Long story short I got back home put everything back together and she fired right up and died then fired her right back up and ran like a dream. Thanks for all your help and saving me and my engine! If I wouldn't have ever came to this site id still be driving not knowing what could have happened. Im pretty keen on preventive maintenance, so spending the $500 and time to know that ill be good for a while is worth it!
replyreply
 Thanks given by: imalumberjack , Waterloo , Rawze

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.