Check engine light
01-18-2019, (Subject: Check engine light ) 
RE: Check engine light
My next question is, should I take it to the shop next week and have the guy that seams like he knows what he's talking about or should I do myself? Im very mechanically inclined and do most maintenance and repairs on my own. from the videos I've seen on youtube it doesn't seam bad at all but im unfamiliar with this engine/fuel pump. The guy I called said it would take him around 3 hours at $100 hour shop rate + parts. should I let him do it or do it myself? Im confident in doing it but its a little scary messing with such a important issue.
replyreply
(01-18-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  My next question is, should I take it to the shop next week and have the guy that seams like he knows what he's talking about or should I do myself? Im very mechanically inclined and do most maintenance and repairs on my own. from the videos I've seen on youtube it doesn't seam bad at all but im unfamiliar with this engine/fuel pump. The guy I called said it would take him around 3 hours at $100 hour shop rate + parts. should I let him do it or do it myself? Im confident in doing it but its a little scary messing with such a important issue.
Most Freightliner deales have Davco sensors. Open top plug and drain all fuel, remove the filter and clean area around sensor, put new sensor in, new filter. Prime it and don't worry.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: triumph166
(01-18-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  My next question is, should I take it to the shop next week and have the guy that seams like he knows what he's talking about or should I do myself? Im very mechanically inclined and do most maintenance and repairs on my own. from the videos I've seen on youtube it doesn't seam bad at all but im unfamiliar with this engine/fuel pump. The guy I called said it would take him around 3 hours at $100 hour shop rate + parts. should I let him do it or do it myself? Im confident in doing it but its a little scary messing with such a important issue.
Most Freightliner deales have Davco sensors. Open top plug and drain all fuel, remove the filter and clean area around sensor, put new sensor in, new filter. Prime it and don't worry.

sorry I should have been more specific, im talking about rebuilding my Fuel pump, not the fuel filter. haha
replyreply
(01-18-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  
(01-18-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  

sorry I should have been more specific, im talking about rebuilding my Fuel pump, not the fuel filter. haha
https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Here is all information you need to know before open fuel pump head. Create an account, it's free and read how to. if you are mech inclined you can do it. Wash fuel pump very well before opening and safety first. All banjo bolts washers should be new, buy them before you start working.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: triumph166
(01-18-2019 )snailexpress Wrote:  https://quickserve.cummins.com/info/index.html
Here is all information you need to know before open fuel pump head. Create an account, it's free and read how to. if you are mech inclined you can do it. Wash fuel pump very well before opening and safety first. All banjo bolts washers should be new, buy them before you start working.

thank you! ill give you a update on how it goes. sometime this weekend I'll start on it. im going to call first thing in the morning to get all my parts to make sure they are available.
replyreply
01-19-2019, (Subject: Check engine light ) 
So I just got off the phone with a Volvo/cummins dealer and I asked the service guy if he could find any records at all on my engine. He said the only thing he found was a record of them checking the fuel pump head back in 2014. so I asked him if he sees many fuel pump failures on this engine and he said not really but he has seen a few. He said that cummins did away with the recall because Cummins determined that they fail from to long of oil change intervals. He basically just said change my oil regularly and I will be ok, and that its the fleets that run their trucks too long without changing the oil that have the issues. I was going to pull my fuel pump head this weekend if I could get the parts but my local Cummins dealer is closed all weekend. Ill call them first thing Monday and see if they have the parts and hopefully rebuild the head on Monday afternoon. Just wanted to give a update.
replyreply
(01-19-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  ...

He said that cummins did away with the recall because Cummins determined that they fail from to long of oil change intervals. He basically just said change my oil regularly and I will be ok, and that its the fleets that run their trucks too long without changing the oil that have the issues.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST CROCK OF HORSE-SH#$IT THAT I HAVE HEARD IN A WHILE!!! --- WHAT A F#3KING MORON!!!

RUN as fast as you can away from those stupid f#ckers!!! -- run like HELL!.

User's Signature: ->: What I post is just my own thoughts and Opinions! --- I AM Full Of S__T!.
replyreply
 Thanks given by: triumph166 , Waterloo
(01-19-2019 )Rawze Wrote:  
(01-19-2019 )triumph166 Wrote:  ...

He said that cummins did away with the recall because Cummins determined that they fail from to long of oil change intervals. He basically just said change my oil regularly and I will be ok, and that its the fleets that run their trucks too long without changing the oil that have the issues.

THAT IS THE BIGGEST CROCK OF HORSE-SH#$IT THAT I HAVE HEARD IN A WHILE!!! --- WHAT A F#3KING MORON!!!

RUN as fast as you can away from those stupid f#ckers!!! -- run like HELL!.

Yep, they don't care. Not their money....
replyreply
 Thanks given by: Waterloo
01-20-2019, (Subject: Check engine light ) 
UPDATE!

Well I finally tore into it... only took me about a hour to get it off ( its 10 degrees and im using a space heater and im taking my time) but its off. I found that the plungers are STEEL! and the cam is OK! everything looks clean and as it should. So it looks like ill be making a trip to Cummins tomorrow and buying me some new parts or just buy a new head gasket and put it back together? Im thinking all new new parts. Oh and In the process of pulling the head I was loosening the 2 bolds to give me some wiggle room on the high pressure line and there is a tube (like airline) coming off the bottom of the box above the fuel pump, anyone know that it is? like I said its cold and brittle and when the bolt broke free it snapped the line in half.... can I just buy a union or is it very important? how bad did I screw myself?
replyreply

NOTE: Rawze.com is not affiliated, nor endorses any of the google ads that are displayed on this website.